1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fixed deck and floating?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sparcolawn, Jan 26, 2006.

1. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

are there any advantages to the fixed deck walkbehinds? i've been looking and dont understand their purpose. any opinions?
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Basically there are a few advantages....

Price (Fixed are almost always cheaper)

Adjustability (Fixed decks allow you to change the height of the blade on the spindle shaft by removing/installing 1/4" spacers)

They're also usually a bit lighter, and shorter in length.

Personally I prefer a fixed deck.

I mow all lawns at one height for 90% of the season.
  3. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

I bought a Toro 36" floating deck WB 2 years ago and a Toro 48" fixed deck last year. The 36" is a tank, is longer, & cost well over 3K. The 48" is commercial but not quite as armored as the 36". The 48" is shorter & it only cost around 3K. The lower price & the extra foot of mowing width sold me. There's an important difference in one area: adjusting mowing height. It's true the fixed deck mowing height can be adjusted by changing spacers on the front wheel assembly. But, that means the deck is not level. When you change to a higher or lower front adjustment, the rear of the mower stays the same unless you change the rear axle position (on a Toro anyway). Changing the rear axle position is not something you can do in a minute. If you want to cut lower in a hurry, you move the front spacers and lower the front of the deck. Scalping then becomes a real problem. In the future, if I can afford the extra money, there is no question that I will stay with floating deck mowers. You can change the deck height by changing 4 cotter pins. You can do it in the middle of mowing a lawn when moving from an area that is low to a higher area (or vice versa) in less than 1 minute. If you don't change your mowing height frequently, fixed deck WBs cost less and do a good job. If like me you micromanage your cutting height, spend the extra money and get a floating deck.