Fixed deck and trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerbrad, Mar 8, 2008.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I am looking at buying a 34" fixed deck Great Dane surfer this year but am worried it will catch on the ramp when loading it on the trailer. Since my ztr has a floating deck I don't have to worry about it catching but since the surfer would have a fixed deck and probably be set at 3"-3.5" cutting height, I am worried it may catch going up the ramp in the trailer. The ramp has about a 25 degree angle when going up. Any imput will be helpful.

2. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a 52" used surfer a couple weeks ago. One tire was low, but the owner just tipped it back near top of ramp as he drove it up. worked good. Obviously he was experienced thou. My 36 WB scag always catches on gate hinges on me- a pain. Geno

3. mowerbrad

How easy is it to get unhinged? I really only have experience with floating decks.

4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I had this problem with some fixed deck WB's that I had, that's why I sold them. However, the 3 blade decks like Quick 36 and Billy Goat are much more compact in terms of the footprint, so they don't pose that problem !!

5. mowerbrad

So what do I do when loading the mower to try and avoid hinging it on the ramp?

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I wheelie the front of my mower when loading on trailer, its a floater but I still wheelie. You can also try flipping your hitch around and raising the trailer a bit to decrease the angle of approach (I also do this). I put my mower at the front of the trailer and with trailer hitch about 3 inches higher it works really well and it almost leveles out when loaded.

7. jtoman

jtoman LawnSite Member

Thats what i did and it worked perfect.

8. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

nail a couple 2x8's, about 2 feet long on the trailer floor. Place them where your front wheels are before you bottom out. They will raise your caster tires till you get over the hump. That's what I did.

Either that or get a longer ramp.

9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

This looks like a winner to me. I knew there was an ez way but I sure couldnt think of it. THX!!

10. mowerbrad

Thanks for all the help guys.