Fixed deck anti scalp wheels....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grits, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I was just looking over my mowers and adjusting them. I was measuring a discharge to make a block off plate when I had and idea. I was thinking about how every once in a while on certain uneven terrain, the front corners of the deck sometimes catches the ground and the result is usually ugly. That's when it occured to me. Fabricate some brackets and mount anti-scalp wheels in a couple of strategic points. So instead of the deck catching the ground, the scalp wheels should just roll over it without digging in. Has this been done? Opinions please.
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Are you talking about mounting anti-scalp rollers in addition to the ones that are usually in the normal spots on a deck?

I know on my TTHP the front outer rollers are already at the outermost edge of the deck... At least I think they are. I'd have to look at it again.
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

No. I have 2 fixed deck mowers and they do not come with scalp wheels from the factory. Isn't your TTHP a floating deck?
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

the tthp is a floating deck.. for a fixed deck with anti-scalps i think the wheels would just dig in as they would be carrying the weight of the entire machine vs just a deck. i don't think they would support lifting the entire front end.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I have two fixed decks and have wondered about this as well, but to me it's just as easy to lift the deck, so to speak.

Among the mayor contributors to scalping are the angle of approach, for lack of better words, it's the direction from which you enter difficult areas. Sometimes you can tilt the entire machine a little bit to one side or the other (it only tilts maybe a degree or two but it helps, sometimes it keeps one side of the deck in the air a bit longer) and really lifting the deck and knowing the terrain helps, so after the first cut or two you know where to go and how to tackle it.

This is the one reason I hate how Toro made the newer fixed decks a lot heavier in the front, my best guess would be some complained about the older ultra-lights that lifted with such ease it was borderline dangerous but once I got used to it, a light front deck is really the way to go, wish they still made the 48" as light as it used to be, even thou it was one of the hardest machines to control it's actually easier and more fun in the long run, but oh well.

I suppose you could try the anti-scalp wheel trick, but somehow I think you should be prepared to remove them in case it doesn't work for some reason, and then again it just might be the greatest idea in the book, who knows.
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Oh I'm sorry Grits, I didn't realize you were talking about a fixed-deck machine. Yes, the TTHP has a floating deck.

Like was said, I'm not sure how well it would work. Due to the fact that the deck can't "float" upwards, I'd think you'd just end up leaving a little "trench" in the turf. It may not tear like it does now though. But I'm sure it would still end up leaving a mark.

You could try it though and let us know how it works. I'd be interested to hear about it.