1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed Deck Mowing Quality

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Pro-Lawn&Grounds, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Pro-Lawn&Grounds

Pro-Lawn&Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

I was doing the lawn today at my place and I like to walk the front with the older bobcat I have ... I can't help but notice every week that I just like the cut of a fixed deck so much more than the floating decks ... I know everyone prefers floating decks but I think I'm going to add a Viking to the mowing rig ... I can never get the cut out of the turf tracer that I do with the fixed deck ...

Anyone else notice this?

2. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree and so does my dealer. It is just being able to adjust the height all the way around makes things a little better.hard to change from 2" to 4" yard to yard. When I had my fixed deck I would air the rear tired up some and be able to get 3.5" out of it.

3. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a little confused about what advantages you guys think fixed decks have over floating decks. I have a 42" fixed deck and I've never had a floating deck. Sometimes I wish it was a floating deck so I wouldn't have to worry about scalping on uneven turf.

4. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

Floating decks won't fix that problem. It may even make it worse. You have to learn the the uneven turf and how to mow around it.

5. j-ville native

how about providing some reasoning why you think fixed>floating.

and i do mow uneven turf with the 21. i'd just rather do them with the 42. that's where having a floating deck would come in handy imo

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

It's harder to mow hills with a fixed deck.

7. j-ville native

thank you tim. i don't think those guys know what they're talking about

8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

You will still scalp with a floating deck. It's not a miracle. Just another tool.

9. j-ville native

yes of course a floating can still scalp but the fixed deck can be scalp city when you go over any small dip in the ground. To each his own i guess but i'd much rather have a floating deck hover over dips in the ground and leave the grass uncut rather than have a fixed deck scalp at any small dip. You can always go back with the trimmer and get uncut grass but you can't do much after a scalp

10. Pro-Lawn&Grounds

Pro-Lawn&Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

lol a floating deck scalps way more than a fixed deck ... I have a turf tracer and that deck weighs a freaking ton ... sometimes by the end of the day if we're changing heights we've got two guys doing it ... the idea of a floating deck is that it will hit the area with the scalp wheels and then "float" over until its even again ... but when the deck weighs a couple hundred LB and you're doing 4+mph its gonna rip up some turf