fixed deck or floating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eric22, Dec 24, 2003.

1. eric22

eric22 LawnSite Member

what are the pros and cons of both? your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Eric
  2. eric22

eric22 LawnSite Member

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Fixed, you have to move around the spacers to adjust height. If you're mowing only one height with a mower, just get a fixed and set it to that height. But it'll be a pain in the arse if you're mowing at all different heights throughout the year.

Floating deck has the ability to change heights using pins. Unless I was mowing fields, I wouldn't buy a fixed deck.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

eric--the fixed deck is easy to adjust. you simply have to pull a couple pins, readjust the spacers and replace the pins.
    it takes about 10 seconds, each side. max.

the floating deck will, however adjust to a wider range of heights for those who think that is important.

fixed decks are cheaper to buy and easier to maintain.

if you need a floating deck to prevent scalps, then you don't know what you are doing behind the handlebars.

the bottomline IMHO--the sooner you quit jacking your deck up and down at every different yard you cut the happier you are gonna be.

good luck.

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

So true. I had one new customer this year that wanted me to cut lower, so i lowered the casters one spacer for that cut from 3.5" to 3.25". It looked the same to me, so i stopped adjusting it from then on. The client called me later after i stopped changing the height, and told me it looked excellent. I was like, thanks...(you idiot). Moral of the story...i can waste my time trying to get them to understand why i cut higher, or you can just ignore them and they will forget. If they dont, drop them.
  6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

That depends on the brand mower, but agree with the rest of comments on subject.

What size deck are you using?
    Larger decks, floating is a must, 36" and under, not much benefit.
  7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have had 36" and 48" fixed decks that were just fine.......I don't adjust height because everyone here has the same fescue and rye grasses........

The new Stander 61" of course is fixed and will require a little extra attention as far as where I go with it....

I used a few adjustable (floating) decks but never saw the need for the added expense....but that is just me....

8. eric22

eric22 LawnSite Member

it was thinking an 48" fixed deck exmark or scag
  9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Biggest advantage of most fixed decks is you can raise the blades in the deck housing when running doubles in leaf season to eliminate blowout.

Otherwise I prefer floating...even on the 36"'s.
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

goat--what are you talking about? over 36 inch it must be a floating deck?

I have been running a fixed deck many years by now therefore in my mind (what is left of it :p) if it is a must I don't know it.

and down in your country, how could you have enough uneven ground to even know if you need a floating deck??? :eek:

if sea level rises 3 feet you all will have beach front property in the BACK yard!

GEO :p