Fixed deck problem????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN GALLO, May 31, 2002.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple of fixed-deck Snappers I can never seem to get a good cut from. Over the years I have tried all kinds of blades and combinations, including doubles. They cut ok if you are only taking off a small amount of grass, but can’t seem to be able to handle high grass. What happens is I get strips of uncut grass where the blades overlap, and clumps everywhere. I am running the blades up high inside the deck (no spacers) and was wondering if this is causing the problem. Instead of using the full 5” depth of the deck to process clippings, I am using only about 3”. The problem is, if I lower the blades to use more deck, than I’ll be cutting more grass off if it’s high – a real catch 22. My decks are already attached at the highest point on the power units. I have to go over lawns 2-3 times just to get it cut, as opposed to 1 time with my Toro. Needless to say, the Toro is getting more use. Any input? :confused:
  2. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I have a fixed deck Surfer and have just recently had to raise my rear deck level up to its highest setting in trying to stripe better as well as just not cut the grass so low. I can tell you from trying it with the blades further up in the deck that it is a problem, whether that is all that is wrong I dunno'. I figured out that you choke much of the suction that those spinning blades have when you have them so far up in the deck. Mine are actually even with if not maybe a 1/8" inside the deck so as not to hit any big rocks.

I don't know what to say about your not being able to lower the level anymore on the rear of the deck. That is not good.

Just curious-how high are you cutting?
  3. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

All I can think of is getting some larger rear tires, or some method of getting the back of that deck higher.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I'm cutting at about 3 1/2" high with the blades set high. If I lowered the blades to be close to the bottom of the deck I would be cutting at 2"! I think it might be time to stop fighting these machines and just replace them with some more Toro's - the cut difference is day & night. The Toro is a floting deck, so blade spacing is not an issue.