Fixed Deck Scalping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LandFakers, Oct 9, 2012.

1. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

How much is the scalping of bigger fixed deck walk behinds of an issue? I would like to add another walk behind for wet days and I have found a good deal on a used one and have no experience with large fixed deck models. I know my 36 won't really ever scalp, but that deck is as wide as the wheels. Thanks in advance guys
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

What size mower are you talking about? Ultimately it depends on the operator being aware of how to avoid scalping and not putting the machine in a situation where it will. A good operator can use a 48 inch fixed deck without scalping with no problem. A lousy operator can scalp with a 21 inch mower. Personally, I wouldn't want a fixed deck mower over 48 inches. Actually I wouldn't want one at all, but it's more of a height adjustment issue than scalping issue for me.

3. LandFakers

from CT

Either 52 or 61. I really would like to get a scag but they only come in fixed deck!! It's frustrates me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

generally speaking the wider the deck the more prone to scalping it will be

5. Darryl G

Yeah, a fixed deck that size will be prone to scalping. You do not want a 61 inch fixed deck!

6. LandFakers

from CT

Hahaha! That's what I figured! I just figured I would see what the general consensus was on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Darryl G

I've never seen a 61 inch Scag walk behind. Do they even make them?

8. LandFakers

from CT

They make 61's and 72's!!!!!! They are on Craigslist here in CT and mass
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. xstatikplus

xstatikplus LawnSite Senior Member

As it goes with any machine you learn where it will scalp and where it won't. If you know the property shouldn't be much of a problem if you don't risk it in tricky spots until you get a good idea of where a new machine can go and where it can't.

10. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt even think of getting anything bigger than a 48 without a floating deck