Fixed deck vs floater

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BufalinoLand, Jan 4, 2006.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Getting new scag hydro 48 or 52 I run a fixed now, any major pluses for a floater and any major pluses for a 52 with a 17 kaw. If i go with the 17 i get a deal on the 05.

thanks

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We run floaters for years last season we purchased 2 scag's with fixed the reason to get a electric start,no problemswith these sometimes on a uneven grade the deck will catch in the turf and you will come to a stop,my advice is to get a electric start.

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have 52/17 eXmark TTHP which is floater. It is really easy on changing blades but I rarely or never change height of cut. So you ask me, I would go floater for reason of blade changing. The fixed is pain to change blade as you have to loose the 3 long 8" bolts. I also like the fact that those 4 antiscalp wheels really help prevent or lessen severe scalping on hill and uneven terrain. If you only cut flat land, fixed is okay, but once hills and bumpy lawns in play, I take floater anyday.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Why not just change the (3) 1/2" spacers on the front wheel casters up or down?:confused:

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ive been fine with my 48" fixed. There have been some times where a floater or smaller fixed would have been better to reduce scalping, but, i have been able to get around those problems. Fixed is fine with me!

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

deck pitch:p

7. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I have a fixed deck WB and I have no problems with scalping. At first I did then I raised up the deck height and then lowered the blades to make the cut height what I wanted and then there has been no more scalping. Also it took a while to get used to using the WB and making the right turns and not ripping the turf with the wheels. I am for fixed deck....

Scott

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

John, we've been running nothing but fixed decks for 12 years now and never had a problem with deck pitch, striping, or anything else for that matter. Usually we only go up or down one spacer so the effect is negligible IMO...and I have pretty good eyesight:)

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Here you need your deck pitch to stay where it works best. We always are changing are height to so the floater makes it easy.

John

10. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about your scag, but the difference for me is using the bagger. On my Lesco 48" fixed deck bagging is no problem. But my 52" floater can only be used for no bagging, since it's bagging system is a joke. It's nice to own both for different types of yards.