1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fixed deck walk-behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Oct 21, 2003.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

i am interested in getting a 48" fixed deck walk-behind either by Exmark or Toro next year and I was wondering if anybody had any insight on them.
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

You will have more proplems with scalping if you are not very experienced. Secondly, height adjustment is more difficult, however, there is no doubt that you can get a great cut from a fixed deck walk-behind if you know what you are doing.
  3. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

It would be either a Exmark Metro 48" or Toro Proline 48"
  4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

They are the same thing. Go with which ever controls you like best, and which has the better dealer. I still use mine, and it cuts like a champ. It was an excellent startup machine for me, and will soon be retired to backup duty. If i had to do it again, i would not think twice. Ive gotten 3 years of absolutely trouble free service from mine with over 700 hours on the clock currently.
  5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Double post.

I should add, that all my properties are < 1acre and are perfectly graded and all cut at the same height.
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Toro same as exmark? *Sigh

Toro owns both, why would they sell both if they are the same? Look at them side by side, and I'm sure you'll go with exmark.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Other than a few stickers, the only differences are the hand controls.

Exmark Metro

TORO Pro-Line

Pick your poison.

Last year they BOTH offered pistol grip controls, and they WERE identical.
  8. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

I really like my Scag 48 fixed deck. I don't think it is that hard to adjust the height. No tools needed unless you are actually unbolting the entire deck and doing it that way. I usually just move 2 spaces and call it even. 3-3.5"
  9. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Toro Proline48 fixed deck that I bought new in June of this year. It has the pistol grip controls and the Kawasaki 15hp twin. So far, I am very pleased with this machine. I would have liked to have purchased a hydro unit, but my budget did not allow for that. The belt drive does fine for me, and the only negative thing I can see with it so far is it tends to freewheel a little bit going down hills. In order to minimize this, I just apply some downard pressure on the pistol grips with my hands. This puts pressure down on the idler pulley which puts tension on the drive belts. When I do this, it pretty much elmiminates the freewheeling. locutus is correct in his statement about a fixed deck scalping more easily than a floating deck. I had this problem a little bit in my first week of ownership. Prior to me buying the Toro, I had no experience what so ever with any type of walkbehind mower. When I anticipate a possible scalp, I will apply a little bit of downward pressure on the handle bars to lift the front of the deck a bit until I pass that certain area. I paid $2795 for my machine. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, and I will answer them to the best of my ability. Here is a picture of my Toro.

camera picture 1.jpg
  10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

When I looked at them, the Toro deck was inferior. Control arms looked weaker, hydro pumps were different. Among other things that I cannot remember right now.