Fixed Deck WB's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Apr 23, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone using a fixed deck wb? If so does it give a nice cut? Thinking about a Toro Pro-Line or a Exmark Metro. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Mowman

2. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

i use fixed decks and i don't think i would use a floating deck walk behind. It's not woth the extra money in a walk behind. on a rider yes. I used an utimate scag hydro last year and hated the floating deck. It was to heavy and hard to get up curbs. It didn't realy prevent scalping the much eith. I think the fixed deck is better.

3. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

I HAVE A FIXED DECK 52 INCH EXMARK METRO....DOES THE JOB JUST FINE AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED.

4. Alan

Alan Member

Around here the lawns tend to be rough except where the soil was actually disturbed during construction. Can you say "cow pasture"? I've tried both styles and I would not mow with a fixed deck. A buddy has used both and he goes with the floaters now as well

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

for the money, a fixed deck seems to be the ticket. I don't have much experience with the floaters, however, my next unit probably will be a floater. WHY? because I plan to drop the bucks for a nice machine and that means a floating deck is included.<p>the only time I have trouble with my fixed 48 inch deck scalping is in a situation like a drainway where it slopes on both sides. usually you can see what you are into and &quot;handle&quot; the machine to prevent the scalp by cutting one half of the drain at a time. good luck!<p>GEO

6. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

I have a 36inch honda hydro fixed deck it has a good cut. I bought it because of the quick adjust deck. Then the first time I tried adjusting it nearly broke my back. My advice if you need to change cutting heights (Homeowner let their acre plus grow into a field) or have old rutty lawns on your route go with the floater. <br>

7. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Northwest,<p>You're the first guy I've seen from Washington on here. What part of the state are you in? I'm in the Spokane area. Curious on how you like your Honda overall?

8. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

We've got 3 36&quot; Ransomes fixed-deck type and a 54&quot; Ransomes fixed-deck as well. The 36&quot; are no problem as far as scalping is concerned once you learn how to use 'em right. The 54&quot; we put scalp rollers on all four corners 'cause it's too heavy to &quot;float&quot; over scalpable areas by pushing down on the handlebars. The 54&quot; is awkward for residentials but we bought it for wide-open and flat commercials anyway.<p>If you're going with a 36&quot; or 48&quot; then fixed deck is fine, anything above and I'd consider a floating deck or better yet a &quot;Z&quot;.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

9. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

Jason, I from the Tacoma area. I like the honda: engine, controls and cut but like I said before don't like the time and jack it takes to adjust the height that five percent of the time when you have to change cutting heights. Also I think the electic blade engagement is a little nicer on the exmarks, scags, danes then the manual one on the honda. Talking about the last post, &quot;you can float a 36 if you know what your doing&quot; that works fine on a few areas but if half the lawn needs floating or you have 20 scalps it would be nice to have a floating deck.

10. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,<p>Funny, but I was having the same thoughts about wheter to buy a fixed or floater too. We currently have a 36 bobcat belt, and it doesn't scalp. As mention in other post, it will scalp on drainage swails/small steep inclines if you are not careful. I looked into the scag ultimate and another bobcat 48 hydro. The scag has the floater. I just don't know if it really helps either. We have 72&quot; groundmasters with floaters, and they tend to scalp horribly on the short, steep inclines (more of deck size problem though) I figure to shop around, try them out, and just go with the mower with the best performance and price. <p>I priced out the 48 ultimated scag, and it was real close to a 48 bobcat hydro, so I would move towards the scag just because it has a 18 kohler and the bobcat a 14. Have to test it first though. <p>steveair