fixed decks with easy height adjustments

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robby, Jun 28, 2005.

1. robby

robby LawnSite Member

Are there any commercial walk behinds with fixed decks that have easy height adjustments? I currently have a JD walk behind that does have easy adjusting for its fixed deck. But in searching around for a new mower, I'm having a hard time finding fixed decks that arent a total pain to adjust heights. I'm not totally opposed to getting a floating deck. Its just that I've been happy with a fixed deck and see no real need to pay more for a floating deck. I'm also hoping to get away from the pistol grips since they are beginning to take their toll on my wrists. So far im leaning towards a 48" Exmark with a floating deck. The wright standers sound really interesting from what I read about them here, but I'm not sure about their fixed deck or total width. I'd need a mower small enough to fit through gates, ,meaning less than 50" inches wide. Any recommendations or suggestions? Oh, one last question. Does a floating deck bounce and rattle less than a fixed deck when going at high speeds? My JD about rattles me off the sulky when in 4th on bumpy yards.

2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

If you want ease of height change, you need a floating deck, no other way to do it. As far as bounce and rattle, it is about the same... maybe a little worse since the deck can bulid up its own momentum when it floats, but the deck has a pretty good weight to it, so it takes a heck of a jar to get it to bounce from the mower frame.

Kevin

3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Gravley has an easy height changing fixed deck but I've never used a gravley before.

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

my 36" gravely walkbehind has a fixed deck with J-pin adjustments. It works really good, and takes only seconds to change deck height. I just looked at Gravely's website, and the hydro models have a fixed 36" and 48" that would be the J-pin adjustment. Also, the belt driven models are all fixed decks and J-pin adjustments. Gravely makes really good equipment, I have 2 gravelys and love them. No problems at all.

5. g5cutsgrass

g5cutsgrass LawnSite Member

Take a gander at the Great Dane "Super Surfer"; similar to stander, quick and easy height change.

6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 54" Bobcat w/b and find it super easy to change the height of the cut. I remove the front casters and add or remove the spacers. And it still cuts nice, even though the pitch of the deck changes.

7. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 36" metro and when I need to change the deck height I have a pretty easy system. I have a small jack stand that I keep on my trailer and when I need to change the height I lift the deck, stick the jack stand under it, pull both pins, adjust as needed, reinsert pins, pull out jack stand and I am off. It takes less than 30 seconds once you perfect the technique....