Fixed line trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smokymoose, Sep 20, 2003.

1. smokymoose

smokymoose LawnSite Member

Can any of you all enlighten me on the advantages of a fixed line trimmer head. What type of sitituation does it work the best. I recently put a head on an older T-231 and the jury is still out. Any tricks or tips you can share. Thanks.
  2. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

IMO - No Advantage.. Bought one in a moment of weakness thinking it would be helpful in using the larger trimmer line (155) but the larger line doesnt trim grass very well and if you drop down to 95 line why bother with a fixed line head?? If you were whacking ditches (like a road crew) it might be worth purchasing because the larger line would work better in the heavier growth found there. My purchase now resides in the junk box probably never to be used again.
  3. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I like the fixed heads.
    I have two on two different trimmers, a Shin., and a Echo. The echo is the easiest to change line in.
    1) you can change between different size line for different jobs.
    2) trouble free, no line to wind, springs to spring and clog with dirt and grass
    3) probably save a little time over rewinding line on spool.
    IMHO, to each his own.
  4. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

if you have a problem with your line welding, then a fixed head would be the thing....or you could just switch line........