1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed or Adjustable Spray Nozzles?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbell36, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Other than the bastard area a fixed can't do...vans suck.

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

that is why i switched to the new hunter ones, cuz rb vans do suck for durability reasons etc, but i still like the water pattern from them better, cuz i always want a bit more arc than what the fixed patterns give, almost always it seems.

i think as far as that goes, it is a matter of opinion, but durability issues are fact, along with water usage of course.

3. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

talked to a distributor today that sells all brands...his point was a lot of maintenance only tech's will mostly only stock van's so they only have to stock 7 nozzles as opposed to 36 or so, and new systems will be fixed because they are cheaper and the installer knows exactly what he needs at the time of the install...the clogging issue happens to both, and it seems if you close and open the vans a couple times that usually does the trick, a little easier than fixed...he did say they usually put out a higher GPM than fixed...but is that technically a problem? couldn't you just turn the time down on the clock?

4. jbell36

from KANSAS

he also said van's are better than when they first came out, maybe some guys still have that bad taste in their mouth...he seemed to think the rain bird's were the best, said they are very close anymore to the fixed GPM

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Your distributor is clueless. The van nozzles do clog and become distorted more often than fixed nozzles. You know what that means? MORE CALL BACKS. Meaning I am going back more often to "close and open" just to fix the issue.

Higher GPM means the zone may be over stretched. If the installer figured 2 GPM for a 15'H, and used the same math using a VAN, then the zone is designed wrong. Lets say there are 10 heads at 2 GPM with fixed, totalling 20 GPM, and if a VAN puts out 1/3 more water (33%), that totals up to 26.6 GPM. If you only have 22 GPM to start with, you're screwed. Believe me, too many of us have "fixed" the all VAN zones. The heads may have 15-20 PSI with all vans, and swapping out to fixed can easily increase to 30-35 psi, and the heads pop up the full height. The heads now spray the full 15' instead of 12'-13'.

Use the correct product, not the easily stocked product.

6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

7. jbell36

from KANSAS

...that the rain bird VAN's ouput is very close to the fixed

8. jbell36

from KANSAS

i'm just trying to get everyone's opinions, i'm not arguing one way or the other...seems like the verdict is definitely fixed, and i do value the opinions on here...i wouldn't say my distributor is clueless though, he was in charge of the irrigation dvision for a huge very well respected company in Kansas City for 20 years and now he's the top salesman at one of the biggest distributors...

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

I admit, starting out as maint only does lend one to stock less nozzles (vans). but still prefer the tweaking one can do with them. I have changed many fixed out for vans to get better coverage ......it happens
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

While not giving them a total pass, I have occasionally made very good use of VAN nozzles from Rainbird. Sometimes from their higher trajectory. Sometimes when combined with a PCS screen, and opened to an arc not available as a fixed, for use by a curving driveway.