fixed or floating deck

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ccrider, Mar 28, 2005.

1. ccrider

ccrider LawnSite Member

need opinions on a 36" wb mower is it worth the extra money for a floating deck or is it much of a problem with scalping etc. with a mower this small??
  2. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

neither they will both scalp.. i would only buy a Walker walkbehind mower. they have true full floating decks unlike other walkbehinds.
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

With a 36" a float deck won't help too much. There's just not a lot of deck over-hang. Save your money! Any larger it's worth it. DEFINITELY over a 48".
  4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I just bought a 36-inch floating hydro the reason small gates and I want a mower that can change height on lawns. Front casters only tip the mower back so for us this was a deciding factor. I am dumping my 48-inch belt I doubt I have 200 hours on it I just hate it that much. I regret with every breath every buying a belt. As for scalping think about it 48"s seldom scalp. I am going to own just the one WB the other 3 will all be ZTRs. One of the deciding factors to the new WB was I do some very thick blue grass lawns where the only reason I am even able to do them is I can cut them at nearly 5-inches in the peak season. The problem is the non-floating deck WB could not adjust to these and would end up sitting on the trailer while I did all the work. This has cost me perhaps thousands over 2 years I have more then learned my lesson.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Mowers never's always 'Operator Error'...a floating deck offers a much easier way to adjust cutting heights, but if you think it will be 'scalp-free', you're wrong.
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

floating hands down!
  7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Actually if you have a striping roller on the floating deck, scalping at shorter cutting heights on irregular turf will be minimized allowing operator to work in auto pilot with the radio turned up.

IMO the real reason for having a floating deck with easily adjusted deck rake adjusters is you can dial in the best cut for your lawns and the rake will remain constant at all heights.
  8. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

if you are scalping with any 36" your doing something wrong!! lol, unless the turf is that bad. :confused: