1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fixed or floating deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MarkSk1, Apr 11, 2003.

1. MarkSk1

MarkSk1 LawnSite Member

fixed or floating deck for on an Exmark 36 wb/ztr. The floating is a whole lot more. is it worth it?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have personally used both...and it all has to do with the operator. Believe it or not I actually like the fixed deck on mowers than floating. The floating sometimes correct themselves too much. But like I said, it all has to do with the operator.
  3. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a fixed deck and no problems, never used a floating deck so can't compare. Deck height adjustment might be easier on a floating :confused: It just takes a minute or two to adj. on my fixed deck..... Hope this helps..

Lou :cool:
  4. tiedeman

from earth

I usually think too that adjusting the height on the fixed is a lot easier than floating. On the fixed I only have to adjust the front (two points) while on the floating (four points). The only problem with the fixed that I run into is the grease.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Exactly!! We have both fixed and floating. And Matt is always complaining about this. He's always saying that the guys on Lawnsite always say how easy it to adjust, but he says no one ever mentions the grease issue. Looks like you just did tiedeman;)
  6. tiedeman

from earth

Ya. the grease issue is major with use. We actually switched over our pants to navy blue to hide the grease more and we also use our "grease changing gloves".
  7. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) I use both and like the fixed decks the best, the floating decks do sometimes overcorrect and you have a 1/4" deeper cut on one end around 2' in length just something else to trimm-feather in.....Marks Mowing Service
  8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I like floating.