fixed or floating deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drains, Feb 6, 2004.

1. drains

drains LawnSite Member

What advantage, if any, would a fixed deck have over a floating deck? It seems that the floating deck would be better but in one thread I see several that list a fixed as a preference. Thanks

2. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

Advantages:

1. Cheaper.
    2. Scalp by 1/2 inch lower
    3. Lighter (can lift the mower up easier)

3. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

Get the floating. Customer 1 wants 2.5 in due to dog. Customer 2 grows fast and likes the lush look of 3 in. A new cusomer's lawn is real high, so you start at 4in.

In short, residential people and jobs demand different heights. Nothing is easier or faster then a floating deck.
    We can not even notice the weight difference. Our floating decks-exmark, scalp somewhat less.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Look at the pic!!!!---------------------------------------------------------

955-500.jpg

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, floating deck all the way!

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I've always had fixed 36in decks. They work fine except the cut degrades as you bring the blades up into the deck to cut higher. My next machine will be floating because of this. To me cut quality is the number one issue. It does not matter how good I can trim a lawn, f the cut is mediocre so is the whole job.

7. John Gamba

from ct

8. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

John, you crack me up. it's like you're always running an ad campaign for exmark. gotta love it

9. John Gamba

from ct

Exmark would not pee on me if i was on fire. Its all about the mowers they make. They are not perfect but they sure are close.
    John