1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fixed or floating?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Homie, Nov 3, 2000.

1. Homie

Homie LawnSite Member

Can somebody give me some basic advantages of floating vs. fixed decks for walk-behinds? I'm looking at a 36" wide unit.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Homie,
    I'd imagine your not related to Homer.
    How flat is your yard? If you have a bumpy yard or changes in grade then you should go with a floating deck. You will avoid scalping. If the yard is relatively flat you can go with the fixed. The smaller the deck the less potential for scalping also.
    My Toro 44" walkbehind is floating and so is my Walker. I personally have never owned a fixed deck. There are some guys here that have ZTR's that have a fixed deck (Choppers) and they swear by them.
    A professional operator or a skilled homeowner can mow with anything after some practice.
    BTW G.R. is a nice area, I have inlaws in Lowell. Good Luck.
  3. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

The floating decks are a little better over rough ground,I dont have one but have operated one and it did do a better job of not scalping. If all you want is a 36" Exmark Metro is a fixed deck that can be bought for 1995.00. I almost bought one untill i demoed the 48" .
    Also look at the top corner of the page at the Search feature there are many articles on this site that may be helpful.
    Good Luck
  4. Homie

Homie LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. My lawn is fairly flat, so fixed will probably do. The fixed/gear drove combination give me what I'm looking for in a pricepoint that I can deal with.
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmmmmmm.........I think I shall call him .......Mini Homie!

6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

With a 36 floating is not needed. Save your money, buy a 36 fixed deck belt drive.
  7. Mark_Christopher

Mark_Christopher LawnSite Member

this blue background has GOT TO GO!!!!! really bad on the eyes!!!