Fixed or Floating

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by outsidepride, Jun 14, 2004.

1. outsidepride

outsidepride LawnSite Member

I am condsidering a Viking hp with a 36 deck is there an advantage to having the floating deck when it only 36 inches i realize on larger decks it would be. Also would the hydro drive be a better option than the gear drive I want to use the mower to get into back yards and some hills where my begger machinery cant get to thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Outside,

I really like the Turf Tracer HP 36" with the floating deck. Is the fixed deck Viking more likely to scalp than the Turf Tracer HP with a floating deck? Yes but only in some very unique situations. The real advantage of the floating deck 36” isn’t its ability to prevent scalping. The real advantages are the PTO adjustment, deck height adjustment, balance, and cut quality.

The 4-pin cutting height adjustment is not only quick and easy but it also maintains the proper deck rake for the highest cut quality. The PTO adjustment can be performed with out any tools or wrenches and there is a "sight" gauge that indicates if belt adjustment is needed anytime the blades are engaged.

As far as a hydro vs. a gear drive the hydro does have some clear cut performance advantages in most situations. The hydro is more responsive and has instant forward and instant reverse. If you’re using the mower for highly landscaped areas this is extremely important because of all the tight maneuvering. Also if you’re using the mower hilly areas the hydro drive also has a performance advantage. In hilly conditions the hydro can be easier to control, and climb hills much more easily. A hydro also has a performance advantage in wet conditions. If the drive belts get wet on a gear drive machine they can slip limiting drive. The hydro drive system is generally not affected by wet conditions.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you,

Terry