Fixed Or Full Floating?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carino Property Services, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Carino Property Services

Carino Property Services LawnSite Member

What does everybody think? Fixed or full floating deck? Ferris Toro or Exmark? Hydo or Gear? Thanks from a new guy. payup

2. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

floating anything over 36 inch. If you have the money to spend get hydro. Is this a rider or walkbehind? Gravely makes good machines and cub cadet, unless you just want to pay for the name

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get the floating because it is easier to adjust the height and it wont scalp. Hydro is the way to go if you can afford it. We have a belt drive Toro 37 recycler and will never own another belt drive. If it is wet or raining you will have belt slippage, belt drives dont perform well on hills and require a lot of effort when turning. The brand choice basically comes down to which ever you like the most they are all good brands. If is also very important to choose a good dealer that will be able to get parts and provide great service after the sale. If I had a good dealer for all three brands I would get either the Ferris or the Exmark because I dont like the SFS decks on the Toro's.

4. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

ADD Hustler to the list,at least it will give you one more choice! :cool2:

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Currently, we have 6 fixed Ferris dual drive WB's...no complaints at all.

6. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Forgot to add that we mainly use Scag, check them out if you have a dealer close by.

7. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36 in toro fixed belt drive. It is a good mower but as was stated earlier you will have some slippage if there is a heavy due, or it is rainy.

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

The only reason to have a floating deck 36" is for ease of height adjustment. I have a 36" belt drive and like it a lot. Anything larger I always opt for hydro for maneuverability.

9. Carino Property Services

Carino Property Services LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys I really appricate your help. I am looking at a 36" hydro from Ferris my only concern is that it has only 1 hydro unit and I mow alot of hills and ditch lines and I'm not sure how its going to respond? Thanks Again Tom

10. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 48 For a W/B. My lawns are too big for anything smaller and even if you cant afford it get a H/D. You will be sorry if you didnt. Just pick up one more account to pay for it. Atleast thats how i look at things. I can generaly get 1 grand per account where i live and thats basicly just mowing them.