1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fixed sulky vs. trailing sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jan 19, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

The recent post about the dual mode sulky got me thinking about something.

Imagine you are running a fixed sulky behind a hydro walkbehind and you're mowing next to a curb with the curb being on your left. You come to the corner of the yard and want to make a 90 degree turn to your right and continue mowing. When you make that turn, will the sulky end up swinging into the street? Or say you're trimming along a bed on your left and want to make a 90 degree turn to the right, will the sulky swing into the bed?

I would think those would be good places for a trailing sulky, but then there's the problem of jackknifing when backing up.

Maybe that dual mode sulky would be the way to go. You could use it in the trailing mode for trimming around the edges and switch to the fixed mode when you work your way into the yard and have more room.

What do you think?

Joel B.
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

same as a front mount mower right? i mean, they have that "problem" of having stuff sticking out behind them on turns. Dont' know how much of a problem it really is, but it would be the same IMO...The wider the deck on the mower the less it is. I wouldn't switch modes on every yard either, if it was for a big hill and i wanted trailing mode i'd switch but not for something like you described, i'd work around it. takes time to stop and make the switch even if not much, but time is money!!
  3. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

I have a velke trailing sulky, when backing up my walkbehind I use a rubber strap and raise it off the ground so I don't have to worry about jack-knifing.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

PRO-SLIDE :D :D :D
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I just can't imagine sliding all 200 Lbs of me around a lawn :D
  6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Yes, Joel B, it sticks your rear out just like that, let alone all the divots that will fly if you go fast 5 mph and make 90*. I watched big LCO last seasons running a large 52" Toro T-bar with Tru Trak working on large-size lawn with high speed complementing Toro Z master on another side and it moved like big "long sumarine", you imagine... cutting with that long "boat"? I stay with trailing type sulky for good, it "snakes" well into tight landscape without sticking your rear out which will cause somewhat damage to tree and fixture if your not careful.
  7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Well, as a "professional", it's just no problem. I have the fixed/castored bullrider and a "long" Hustler WB, and it's just not an issue for someone that has a bit of intelligence. Sorry, to be blunt.... just use your head, and turn out from the curb just a bit, and then "zeroturn" the WB, and you're fine. By your question, I can see why guy's still haven't realized the advantage of a Hustler WB, with H steering and a castored sulky.......
    Good luck,
  8. John Gamba

from ct

I'm Right now 230 When i Use to use The walks with The pro slide i was 212. The Pro slide Is Better fitted For a heavier Mower Like Turf tracers That's all ive ever Had from exmark. Now That my doctor has told me To get Off The riders I'm going to Get Out this year with the 2002 TT With pro slide as My Personal Choice. I Do have other Sullkys On Hand But when You have Used a Pro Slde and Get Use to The Instant Retaction the best Ride And a SUPER STRIPE To Boot Theres No Other choice. I Can tell You about some of the minor Problems But i Think You Should Buy One and experience It your Self. Here Is a Picture (not- Digital-Scaned) With A 2001 Turf tracer With the pro slide.

Happy New Year
    Johnny G.:cool: :cool:

green house resized.jpg
  9. John Gamba

from ct

Here is a bigger one. My first time shrinking a scanned picture.

green house resize2.jpg
  10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

John and anyone else with a proslide,
    how does it pull on hills? I mean behind my 52" Scag hydro fixed deck w/b. I'm not too keen on the idea of stepping off around turns and getting back on, but I like the idea of it automatically retracting for backing up, etc. I'm going to make a striping flap AND either rear roller (like Checkmate since it's not floating deck) or chain kit for it as well. Currently using two wheel trailering sulky and not looking to switch but was curious bout Proslide. Thanks