1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fixed vs. Floating Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LakeCountry, Jun 8, 2001.

1. LakeCountry

LakeCountry LawnSite Member

I have the option to buy one or the other. The hilly lake areas that I am in are well-suited for a fixed so it doesn't lean to one side, but there is a lot of uneven ground on the lake properties and the fixed deck could scalp, but worse, the cut appears uneven in places.

Does anyone swear in either direction? Keep in mind this is my start-up mower so I need to be sure to give the best impression!

Thanks for the input!
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Exmark floating deck. It scalps alittle on small bumps, but the wheel is in the back, but if you would get a bigger deck size you wouldn't have that problem. I never used a fixed deck. I have noticed on the Exmarks that the belts, tires and other things seem to be a lot smaller then the flaoting decks. The fixed decks seem to make the machines lighter. You might want to keep this in mind.
  3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a floating deck from Exmark. The advantages are, the height can be adjusted by removing four clevis pins, and reinserting in another height location (no tools). The deck adjusts to terrain with anti-scalp rollers vs. the whole mower riding the wave.

I think you will be better off with a more versatile mower/deck allowing you to accept more properties while you get started.
  4. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

Definately get a floating deck!! If you are cutting short it makes a big difference in scalping.
  5. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Demo both then decide for yourself.
  6. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had both, my first mower was fixed deck, and have had floating deck ever since, and I like the floating deck the best. like someone else said very easy to adjust height.:D
  8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

My Walker has a floating deck and I really like it. My jd wb has a fixed deck and is pretty ticky in some spots. I started with the floating so it is harder for me to get used to the fixed. My recc. would be floating...more forgiving in uneven terrain.

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

Order my turf tracer hp today with a floating deck, hydro. Getting rid of the metro.