fixed vs floating deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QUALITY LAWNCUTS, Mar 11, 2003.

1. QUALITY LAWNCUTS

QUALITY LAWNCUTS LawnSite Member

Alright experts I need some help. I am going to buy an Exmark but would you say I should get the Viking 36"15 kaw with a fixed deck or the TT 36"15 kaw with a floating deck? and why? and if anyone knows the cost difference? thanx oh yahand if I should be looking into a proslide or a sulke? Oh yah if you didn't see on my last post I am a newbie in the bus. as far as making money at it.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

On a 36" I think it's just a matter of preference really. If you make a lot of major cutting height changes during the course of a day, the floater would be well worth the extra money.

3. QUALITY LAWNCUTS

Ok but is it going to make a difference in the cut quality as far as turning, etc. and what kind of extra money are we talking here?

4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search, you'll find lots on it. I have a fixed deck and I like it but I hear floating decks are better. Peace

5. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I don't have any idea about the price difference. I've never even priced anything as small as a 36." Now as for cut quality, the wider the deck, the more important having a floating deck is because the risk of scalping is much greater.

As for your particular use and how much difference you might see really depends on the shape of your accounts. Are they rough, uneven, rolling? Also just how close do you cut in inches? All these things come into play here.

Ask yourself this....can I think of may places I could see the deck bottoming out?

6. QUALITY LAWNCUTS

So basically ENVY you're saying if I plan on using it on on ditches in front of businesses get a floating but if all I was doing was flat Res. its ok to have to fixed

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

By design a 36" doesn't have much problem with scalping. If your dealing with fairly flat turf then you shouldn't have problems with a fixed deck. Especially once you learn the properties and the limitations of the mower. I think it probably comes down to a personal decision. Which do you like better and are willing to pay for.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Exactly what 65hoss said

9. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I like my floaters alittle better but fixed ones are fine I think the 36 toro fixed non hydro is about 2400 and the floating is about 3000 and for hydro it is around 1000 to 1500 more but I haven't looked at new stuff for a year so I am prolly wrong

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

With the 36" deck and under I would stick with the fixed deck and bigger then that I go with the floating deck. The key is to learn the limitations of your equipment to avoid any scalping. Best of luck to you.

Gravely_Man