Fixed vs. Floating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by p2duece98, Feb 14, 2006.

1. p2duece98

p2duece98 LawnSite Member

I'm about to purchase a new hydro WB Lesco 48'' is their a real big advantage in either fixed or floating deck mowers

2. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Floating decks are easier to adjust the cutting height and do not scalp as easy on uneven terrain, although this is not a huge issue on a 48" deck.

Personally I would purchase the floating deck.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

we've been running 52 and 61 inch fixed decks for 12 years now...no problem...simply adjust cutting height with the front caster spacers is all.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I believe most scalping with a fixed deck due to operator error.

I believe you'll be real happy with that LESCO whichever unit you buy.

GEO :)

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

48'' deck is kinda small to have scalping problems that the bigger decks have.

I would get the fixed, much lighter and less parts.

If you have some crazy uneven terrain or got to like a 52'' deck then the floater is a must.

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

This subject has been beat to death about 50 balizion times. If you have a lot of un-even lots then a floating deck will better suit you. But if the majority are flat then a fixed deck may be better (price wise). IMO only, I hate fixed decks I have 2 48"ers and the next piece of equipment is going to be either a 52"TTHP or a TT60" with at least a 23hp kawi on it.

7. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally would NEVER get a fixed deck..they cut uneven and are not the easiest things to get the cutting height changed on!

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

In Alabama I assume you will be mowing some Bermudagrass. Forget the replies from guys mowing bluegrass at 3" plus up north. It's a different mowing environment. A wide fixed deck on anything but flat surfaces will be scalp city when mowing Bermuda at 1-2.5", and even at higher mowing heights in really rolling terrain. They also probably are not changing mowing height from 1.5" to 3.5" from lawn to lawn or even on the same lawn like you may be. Smart operation can minimize it, but it's more a problem with the deck edge catching the ground than the blades scalping. (like when turning into a steep hill from level ground.

enough anti-scalp wheels would help, but for some reason most don't have enough of them.

A fixed deck offers somewhat lighter weight (sometimes too light up front) and cheaper initial cost ($400 or so). But they can't handle wide mowing height changes quickly. I have one but it's 32" and even then if they made a decent 32" floater I'd have gone with it.

I believe Gravely fixed decks have a quick adjust system which helps negate that disadvantage, but I would stick to 36" or smaller decks with those.

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer floating, easier height adjustment, and deck pitch is easier to adjust.

10. p2duece98

p2duece98 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys I think I will go with the floater