fixed vs. floating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, May 5, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Excuse my igorance, but what is the difference between a floating deck and a fixed deck? i mean the reason for getting one over the other?

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I think the biggest difference is the way you can change your cutting height.On a fixed you have to mess with the blade spacers & the castor spacers.On a floating all you have to do is pull a couple of pins and you go from say 2" to say 5".Also it has been said that a floating deck is better for uneven ground.

My next machine is going to have a floating deck.I like my metro but i would like to beable to change the height of cut if the lawn is overgrown then go back to 3" to 3.5" for normal cutting.

Hope i helped ya some fga.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What Lazer Z said!!

John

4. fga

I'm learning! what about vibraton? would there be less in your hands with the floating?

5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I'll be honest with you i do have some on my fixed but, it's not like the whole machine is about to sake all the nuts & bolts off and fall apart.On a floating i really could'nt tell ya but i'm sure it has about if not less than a fixed (<just a guess)

Are you looking to do the same as me and upgrade to a floating? If so why not just go to a dealer and ask for a demo?

6. fga

Mostly for my own knowlledge, want to learn. I've used 21" lawnboys for going on 6 years now. I reviving a 32" kees WB a friend gave me. its gotten its use and abuse, don't know how long it will last. so I've been looking into different models, cuz once you starting using a machine you become dependent on it, especially an upgrade like I'm doing.
    But like I said, mostly for know how. the only way to learn is to ask, rather then sound like an idiot talking about someting you don't have a clue about.