Fixing a new garden spot

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by muddstopper, May 21, 2008.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I lost my old veggi garden spot due to filling in to level out the lot. I did remove the old soil to put back into a new spot, but the wife leveled it out and made a large flower bed, so I have to start from scratch. I have my opinons on this project but thought I would get everybody elses.

The proposed site is about 2000sqft. The soil is all rock and subsoil that came from the bottom of a 100ft deep cut for a new highway. It probably wont see much use this year as I tilled up a small spot in the backyard for a few "mater" plants. So lets draw up a plan for next years veggies. I have already removed most of the bigger rocks (down to 2in dia) to the point I can run my 6ft tiller thru the soil, but there is no organic matter. I still have a bunch of smaller rocks to remove:cry: Lets hear what you would do to make this a productive food produceing site and then I will tell you mine.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You are waiting a year - so a lot of woodchips tilled in with grass clippings, raw manure and don't forget the charcoal. Lots of water all summer long and till in the new weeds every so often.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Green manures are something, long term, that will work. Plant some annual rye in the fall that can be tilled in next spring.

You want humus, old humus. Stuff that has gone through all of the breakdown processes and is stable. I am trying some char trials in pots and flat with different type of plants, so far it has stunted the growth and in some cases killed the seedling. I am trying to figure out why

If I were you I would try find a 10 year old leaf pile somewhere. A couple of us in our area know of sites where landscapers had been for some time and would fill small valleys with all of the debris from landscaping. Great stuff

Is it mostly clay? If you have a buddy with a rock hound that would be excellent

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

yeah man, nice garden size. compost, char, rock dust, some lake or sea weeds, river sludge, manure( rabbit horse or some vegan swine) old and new leaf mater, some hay or alfalfa, WORMS!!!!!!!!!, wood chips, mayhab some small amount of sulfur, veg waste from another fruit market.

how about a soil test,or do you have a handle on that?

5. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

In my off-the-grid homestead fantasy I would fence that area in and then
    put a hog on it for a couple of weeks to root and manure. Plant next spring.

6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Treegal... that Is one nice mixture...the tomato's will grow like crazy...and well worth the effort...I can hear the Microbes chirping from here:)

7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

that's just the base. then you can get real creative. molasses, blood meal, oyster shells, meal worm casts, bone char..... starting to ramble.

we go for a base compost and then test to get to the perfect soil.

I hate tomatoes, and grew 12 bushel's in the first part of the year. the summer crop is shade grow-en, and should be smaller,then we get our Xmas crop. we sell almost all we grow. they are like weeds in my yard.

8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

TG, Nobody HATES tomatoes, come on. They rank right up there as one of my favorite fruits, especially when I go to the garden with a salt shaker and pick a nice big ripe tomato, and.............AAAHHHH, slurp, drip, shake shake, AAHHH, slurp. Now you got me all excited, I can't wait

We don't get our first tomatoes around here until after the 4th of July, we are in zone 7

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Soil tests?

10. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know muddstopper but I am looking forward to how to do it since I have recently tilled up a red gravel driveway and have the same scenario. I have picked all bigger rocks out, tilled and tilled and tilled and tilled. I have also used dawn dishwashing liquid in a 20 gallon hose end sprayer to try to alleviate compaction. I can only get patch corn to grow there. I really enjoy hearing your ways to do things because they always get results.