1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fixing a valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Lawnworks, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Well I just completed a lawn renovation at a client's house and I detected a leaking valve. I have never done this before, but it looks straight foward. I guess I would just cut out the tee and 90 right? I am thinking I may need to dig the box up to get to everything. What is the correct way to do this? Also, what would you charge for this?
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

• Disassemble the top of the valve (solinoid and bonnet), cut of the 90, leave the tee intact.
    • Spin the valve off the male adapter that is glued to the tee.
    • Re-teflon the male adapter and spin a new valve on (you'll have to disasemble it to get it to clear).
    • Glue a coupler on the line that is elbowed down and bring it to the height it used to be before you cut it.
    • Carefully flex a 90 into place.

Only do it this way if the mainline male adapter is not the reasion for the leak. Also, if you can't spin it off your going to have to use a repair coupler to glue in a new tee.

An alternative is to find out what about the valve is leaking, it could just need a new diaphram.

Those look kinda like Toro Flo-Pro's, but I could be wrong...those are junk.
  3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

From the looks of that mess - you have a mess on your hands.

Those look like the old original Hunter valves that you loosened the cover screws and then twisted off the cover. Parts will probably be hard to find.

Dig that sucker up, replumb everything so it is neat and uniform and then charge them A Lot of Money!!

4. Dirty Water

Jerry's advice is the best, but since you've never done valve servicing before, I'd just sub contract it out to a reliable irrigation contractor.
  5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I'd put money on those being 1" Nelson valves. Valve is leaking??? Since the hole is full of water, I'm going to assume you mean from the bonnet. These like to do that when the valve cycles. They will start out "spitting" and then get worse. If your lucky, they don't leak when they are off. They are rebuildable and last time I checked parts were available, but like most Nelson stuff, they were under a factory recall about five or six years ago. Solenoids were bad, diaphrams were bad....Like the wiper seals on the rotors and sprays, Nelso paid for anything less than 5 years old in parts, and in some cases labor too. A complete re-plumb like Jerry suggests would probably be the best case scenario, but if you can buy the valves locally and replace everything but the body, it would be easier and cheaper, and you can probably do it again in 4-6 years. In my experience, that is the one major benefit to the Nelson brand, your setting up your next service call with the existing repair.
  6. Dirty Water

I love it!

*talking to customer*

Ok, so I repaired your leaking valve, how does november 13,2008 sound for your next valve repair? You need to book early because I might be busy.

7. bicmudpuppy

8. bicmudpuppy

Ok, lets see if I'm smart enough to just post the page instead of linking to it............

Attached Files:

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Here is where it is leaking. It leaks all of the time not just when the system is running. I guess I will try to rebuild the valve first and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.
  10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

It appears that you're indicating a leak where the bonnet attaches to the body. I'd try replacing the valve bonnet and diaphram assembly first (gut the thing). If that fails then you're in for some digging and creative piping based on what I see in that box. :p