Fixing an uneven lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 25nbl, Sep 15, 2004.

1. 25nbl

25nbl LawnSite Member

I have a customer who has a real rough and bumpy yard...it is one big square, no hills, just really uneven. She wants it leveled out and she has a sprinkler system. Is there anything I can use to mash the ground down without damaging the sprinklers, or do I need to grate the whole yard or can I just put dirt all over it and keep mashing it down until it's level? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! I don't know??

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You are in need of topdressing.

Check out this website for some good photos of the process.

Topdressing

3. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto turfunlimited!
    We like to aerate heavily then have compost blown in by a mulch blower and drag with a screen

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

woaaaaaaaaaaaah.. you don't want to "MASH" the ground down, that causes compaction, poor rooting, bad drainage, etc. what you want to do is level it by adding soil, or relocating some soil that is there already. perhaps a box scraper would be helpful

5. kakuenzli

kakuenzli LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner and am having the same problem. The landscaper that is fixing my problem plans on first aerating the whole yard with a machine that also vibrates, so as to further break up the ground even further. He then will spray a mixture of premium topsoil, sand, and peat moss onto the ground to level out the yard. He said that it will take about two applications, but you only should do one application per year. Since I have bermuda, we are waiting till July to do the first application. To complete one application it is costing me approximately $2300.00. I hope this helps some.

6. ThreeWide

You actually could do this in May.

Everything sounds ok with that except the price. For $2300, you must have a large lawn.

7. kakuenzli

My yard is approximately .41 acres without the house on it. How much would you charge to do this? Right now I am scheduling him to 1) Pipe off all down spouts to the lower end of the yard with 260’ of 4” corrugated pipe and 3 Drain box’s and 2) Install an 18” catch basin at the end of the drive way along with a French Drain to catch all run off from the driveway along with 1 down spout. This is costing me approximately $2100.

8. ThreeWide

You didn't mention the drain work previously. That makes a big difference.

Topdressing alone shouldn't cost you more than $1000 relative to the job in my area.

9. kakuenzli

Actually, the drain work is not included in the price for leveling out the yard. Leveling the yard is about 2300.00 separate from the drain work. Unless I misunderstood him, I thought the 2300.00 is per application unless it is for both applications of the peat moss, top soil, and sand.

10. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

kakuenzli :
    "My yard is approximately .41 acres without the house on it. How much would you charge to do this? Right now I am scheduling him to 1) Pipe off all down spouts to the lower end of the yard with 260’ of 4” corrugated pipe and 3 Drain box’s and 2) Install an 18” catch basin at the end of the drive way along with a French Drain to catch all run off from the driveway along with 1 down spout. This is costing me approximately $2100."

The value of that job is at $3,380
    Sounds like your landscaper is looking out for you.
    Be Kind!

As far as the other work,you should have a signed contract,stating what you are paying for.

Good luck