Fixing Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MWHC, Feb 3, 2000.

1. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I was wondering how many of you wrench on your own equipment or take it to the dealer to be serviced? Up until about 5 years ago, I relied heavily on dealers to fix most problems. Now, I don't take a machine in unless it's warranty work or I just do not have the time to tackle it. (I don't have the really complex ZTR's; just walk behinds, trimmers, blowers, and 21" mowers) I am just wondering how other companies deal with breakdowns?

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just the flip. We used to maintain and repair our equipment up until 1993. We had a bad year that year with all our old, used equipment. We sold everything in the spring of 1994 and have used all new mowing equipment since. All our equipment is 1998 and newer. All our 2-cycle is new every year.<p>I don't like wrenching on stuff and I hate downtime.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I work on my own stuff. I had bad experiences with dealers not fixing what was broke and charging a fortune for nothing. I can't afford not to work on my stuff myself.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

how did you guys who fix your own equipment learn how to do it? i do all my own maintainence and basic reapairs but i let the dealer tackle any engine repairs. alot of times when i have tried to do serious repairs myself i wind up making the situation worse and ultimitly having the dealer fix it anyway. i can do just about any repairs exept engine ones.... ive just picked up skills along the way. how bout you guys?

5. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Evan,<br> your Toro has a 2 year warranty on the Kohler, 1 year on the rest. You won't have to do much for a few years except change oil and filters. There's not much to them except the engine, frame and deck. Doubt you'll have problems with spindles for quite some time. Our first Z Master is almost 2 now and we haven't done a thing to it yet.

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Evan,<p>After having dealers service equipment for a while and finding they didn't fix the problem, I did as you did, I began attempting repairs myself. It wasn't that difficult. As for engine repairs, if it's major, you are better off buying a replacement engine. By the time you pay a dealer to rebuild an engine, it would be just as cheap to replace it. <p>

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

IF i could learn how to fix a carb. I would be O.K. That has been my biggest problem to date.<p>Homer

8. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

In trying to get over my fear of tackling engine problems, I bought the specific repair manual for the engine on my mowers. I then bought a rebuild kit and dug in. The mower engine I rebuilt was on its last leg so it was no big deal if I killed it. The book gave step by step instructions for taking it apart and putting it back together. I put new rings in and all new gaskets. The mower ran really well when I was finished. The confidence is what I was after though. I also did it in the winter so there were no time constraints.<p>Hey Homer, you are not alone. I myself usually just buy a new carb and put it on. I havn't had much success in rebulding them. Sometimes if i take compressed air and clean them real well I get a little more life out of them.

9. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

We did not know how to repair our mowers at first but becouse our dealer was a joke(he did a bad job fixing our equipment,charged way too much and never had parts)so we had to learn.We used the parts breakdown manual for our walkers it breaks the walker down to the nuts and bolts.With this we find out how to get the part out and it gives the part number then we call our dealer and see if that part is in,if not don't order it from your dealer!Call the distributer in your area and get it from them.When you get you dealer to get the part they get it from that same distributer and thay add on some extara $$$$(they are the middle man).You can get the part to you as fast or faster then the dealer and cheaper.We now deal with a dealer that is 1/2 an hour away.Eventhough we have to dive that far it is well worth it they work on walkers all day,they know what they are doing,they are honest,frendly and they have a large amount of parts in stock.If you can find a dealer like this that is not in your town I suggest you use their services.It is better than waiting 3 days for a small part then having it installed wrong and getting a huge bill from the dealer that is closer.I suggest you try out all the dealers in your area and find the right one for you.We too do not do any repairs like carburators and so on.If you don't know how to fix it than don't try!!!!!<p>from:Adam<br>AB LAWN CARE

10. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Adam, <p>Please share how you get the distributer to sell you parts. I have tried and they won't even talk to me unless I am a dealer.<p>Jim<br>