Fixing or Dis-mantling patio costs?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I had a guy have us look at his patio today. He apparently is in construction, did it himself, its not terrible, bad cuts but nothing major.

His patio is elevated 4' in the air straight out from their back door. Its about 18' wide and 25ft long, or 5 feet TOO long and the township took him to court or something already and he has to chop 5' off of the end.

The end looks like the side of the number "8" , two round circles with a staircase in the middle going down 4'. Its not just a simple remove the outter straight wall and put it back but 5' closer to the house, he will need these two half circles now cut into and redo the wall straight, which will not look great but will meet township code for these development lots.

The area working would be 4' tall, 5' deep and 18' wide, all of which is wall block and staircase. He doesnt mind loosing this stairs either, so the regular wall will go back up as is.

Im estimating out about 4 days labor for 3 guys or $3,300 assuming add in costs for hauling anything, any supplies if needed and so forth. Anyone do anything similar before? I doubt he is going to spend a dime on this anyway and may just be looking for a quote for insurance/court/legal reasons anyway so i dont want to spend a lot of time when he is probably going to flip for anything over $1k.

2. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Just a guess but is he by crystal lake in bord. twp.? Figure a little more then you think because you don't know what he did for base, sometimes those jobs don't look that bad but when you start you open more problems then you know what to do with. I know there are alot of these in where I asked because I guy was doing them for half price of everyone else but no base just blocks on the ground and too big so now the twp is making them fix it.

3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Be cautious, with the township already involved due to zoning, expect to see an inspector on a regular basis. To be safe, the only way to bill this will be time & materials. You will need some materials. If this is a raised patio against a block foundation, there had better be engineering or you will be the one held liable for foundation cracks or failures. If there are curved steps involved, they rarely go back exactly how they came out.

Kirk

4. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

pictures?....

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Yeah thats where its at... actually we just did a patio on the other side of there, my "low" price trying to do this job for March 08 was like 18, its still going to come out to 16k, my long time customer got another quote from another company, 12k! Theres just no way possible with the supplies cost :/

But yeah, ive had a lot of "foreign" ones ask about the sq ft for a patio, they want a $10 per sq price or they dont want to talk to you lol. I made this post because there are a handful of patios in this development ive seen that are falling apart only a year or two later.

In the same place, there was a company that did a paver sidewalk in a day, i think they had a f350 sized small dump truck, that handled ALL of their base, sand and that was it. The walkway is already settling and pitched poorly. Ive seen other patios, "split" dead center and have a 2" gap down the center.

I think their restrictions are a 20ft x 20ft, the one we just did was 21.6" lol, so i hope they dont get bothered for it, it was at the customers request so his walkway would connect easy to it.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ill get some :p

Thanks for the heads up with the foundation issues if we "work" on the existing patio after the fact too, never thought about that.

I hate billing hour hours, because customers always complain about something... your guys took a break, one was smoking, one was on his phone, two were not working fast enough, one left etc.... But i totally understand it should be done this way, i would just have to be there the entire time.