1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fixing Tire Ruts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a call today and a guy wants an estimate for fixing tire ruts in his yard. He lives off of a highway and a car went off of the road. There is around 200ft of tracks in his yard. How do I go about fixing this? Should I just rough up the area and add fill dirt and then plant some seed? I really don't know how long this will take me so I am having problems pricing it also.

Thanks... :)
  2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

knowing wear you live would help.

your choices are just regrade the existing soil back to level and sod/seed.

rototill the area and sod / seed

half way level it with existing then finish with topsoil and sod / seed

to any of these you could then go back later and aerate to relieve compaction.

Price by time, but it depends on the method you use what the time would be.
  3. Husky03

I live in Indiana. I went out today to look at the lawn and it is not very bad at all. The deepest area is around 4" but most of it is about 2". I usually do not do this kind of work so I do not even own a tiller. How can I go about loosening the soil?

4. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Get/rent a heavy roller, water the area down and repeat !
  5. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

1> Wait until the ground thaws.....then add good top soil...compact it (hand or machine) rake it, then water,seed,cover with straw or ?
  6. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

This is the way I would do it. I get requests like this each spring. This inexpensive, easy to do, and will look good.
  7. Husky03

What tool can I use to compact the soil by hand?
  8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly what I would do.
  9. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

10. Husky03

Thanks for the link, that looks like what I would need. Any idea how long this would take solo? I would say it is only around 150ft of tracks at the most. I am going to call the fill dirt place and ask them how much dirt they think I would need.