Fixture alterntives

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Edgewater, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone,

I am currently installing CAST fixtures. I am very happy with them, but the are on the high side dollar wise.

Can you guys suggest some good alternatives for jobs where the cost has to come down.

As you know, the CAST offering is basic. We mostly use the Path/area lights, bullets, tree mount down light, and the odd well-light.

What do you guys turn to???

thanks,

Adam

2. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Coppermoon has very similar fixtures to cast. Plus depending on your distributor a little bit easier on the invoice. Other then that if your looking for an aluminum fixture possibilities are endless. I like to use Kichler and Hadco. But there are a bunch of other companies out there.

3. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Copper Moon sells direct. If your going through a disributor, you are getting ripped off.

4. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Adam,

Obviously it irks me to hear that pressures in the market are causing contractors to sacrifice quality to sell jobs. It not only hurts quality manufacturers like CAST, it hurts the industry as a whole, does a disservice to homeowners and diminishes contractors' profits.

There are a few jobs where price really needs to come down (mainly the smaller jobs), but there are many more jobs where the contractor can successfully counter price concerns with good solid sales skill.

Selling quality requires skills common to all great sales people:

Aim High: Never consider that a homeowner's starting budget (or competitor's bid) is fixed. Almost everyone will exceed their budget if given compelling reasons to do so.

Sell the Value: Know the added values of your quality products like the back of your hand. Be able to make convincing cases for every one of them (they're not just perks, they're practically necessities for the homeowner).

Seize the Opportunity: You're not just selling your products and services, you're selling homeowners the opportunity to employ you. You offer skill, experience and a design sense that no one else has. They should feel lucky that you are submitting a proposal - you don't just work for anyone, you pick and choose projects based on what interests and challenges you.

Close the Deal: After you make your case, act fast. Schedule a demo, write the proposal, schedule another meeting. Let them know that your schedule is tight, don't let their interest grow cool by letting days go by. They should know they have a tight window of opportunity. If you delay a few days you may lose them.

Finally, make sure the homeowner understands that a quality landscape lighting system is an investment that grows in value, that adds value to their home - value they will recoup if they sell their home. Lesser quality systems are like consumables, they depreciate in value, eventually lose value and will become a liability down the road.

5. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Steve I don't want you to think I'm by any meaning degrading you personally or cast as a whole. Ive seen and used your product. Its good stuff. Just is quite expensive. When the job calls for a certain fixture I do not compromise integrity by putting in an inferior fixture.

6. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Thans for thereplies so far.
    I doagree that you should be able to usesalesmanship tosell your product of choice however, I was hoping for some specific model references. Aluminium is OKtoo.

I will take a look at coppermoon.

7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Vista has a very large line of aluminum products if you are so inclined, and they are priced pretty competively.

8. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

It may be because of my relationship with my distributor, but I get great pricing on Kichler materials. They have offerings of aluminum, brass, and antiqued brass but the BBR line is rather high IMO. I'm starting to use Unique more for brass installs, but I really don't like the xelogen lamps. I just got back from a nighttime adjustment, and the 35w xelogens were way to soft and amber for the wall washing. Going back tomorrow to switch them out for 20w halogens. However this was just this application. I'm sure I'll be using the xelogens when I need more of an understated effect.

9. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Remember Chris you can order fixtures from us W/O lamps as well so if you have specific lamps you like you can simply add them in w/o paying for the lamps from us.

As for inexpensive lines, like Steve said, you want to always try and sell quality and not sell on price but reality is guys are looking for alternatives. We created our Copper Knights line and our Brass Knights line for just this reason. Some on here already have fallen in love with certain Brass Knights fixtures and our Copper Knights line is growing faster and faster with the latest edition being the Oxford (copper version of the Big Bang).

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=244016

Click the attachment to view the current line up of Brass Knights fixtures. Almost 1/2 the price of our Odyssey Line and still include 25ft of wire, lamp, and mounting option (stake or bracket). 15yr warranty but we all know Brass and copper are for LIFE!!!

Attached Files:

10. TXlights

TXlights LawnSite Member
    from texas

I am located in Texas, and have used ClaroLux products for years. They have always been very helpful, and the prices are good. They just came out with a brass bullet light that is similar to Casts. I have used it on 3 jobs and had no problems. I hope this helps. good luck!