Fixture in trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by irrigation lemieux, Apr 19, 2009.

1. irrigation lemieux

irrigation lemieux LawnSite Member

What is the best way to install fixture in trees.also the tips for install wire on a tree.what about the transition from grass to tree,protect the wire from weed eater.

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

1: Get a Fall Arrest Harness and get properly trained on it's use.

2: Take a ladder safety course.

3: Get a Class II (minimum) 32' extension ladder, or two

3A: Climb ladder and position fixture as high as is humanly possible in the tree. "The higher the light, the closer to God."

4: Use application specific fixtures such as the Nightscaping JEMliter or the CAST Treelight.

4A: Ensure you locate the fixture in a relatively hidden location up the tree.

5: Use Stainless Steel Hanger Bolts to attach the fixture/treemount to the tree. These will not harm the tree and allow the fixture to be backed off as the tree grows and increases in diameter.

6: Use Stainless Steel Arrow T59 staples to attach the wire up the trunk of the tree. (You are lucky enough to live in an area where our trees grow relatively slowly:canadaflag:, allowing for the use of these staples... they work great and actually 'grow out' with the bark as the tree grows. I have heard that in the South, the trees grow to rapidly for this method and swallow the staples up, but I still don't belive it!)

7: Use a short length of royalflex or liquidtite conduit at the base of the tree where the wire transitions from the trunk to the ground. (I like to paint mine flat green to blend in)

8: DON'T FALL OFF THE LADDER OR OUT OF THE TREE! IT REALLY HURTS!

3. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

4. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Ahh so that is what happened to you! This explains alot! :laugh:
    Just kidding.

Keith

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I fell off of a ladder against a tree 10 days ago. I can witness to this, even with no broken bone or internal injuries, a 12-15 foot drop still hurts 10 days later. I agree with all James said, and yes, southern trees eat staples. we have growth ring years easily in the 3/4 inch range.

6. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Wow your trees do grow fast. For wire going up the tree I use black zip ties with the loop at the end. Then I screw in with a s.s. Square head deck screw. EXPENSIVE but holds very good. On alot of oaks around my way the bark is so raised there are groves to follow. Obviously on a pine that is not an option.

Copper piping patinas pretty nice so use that for the first foot of tree if you have to.

Led is probably amazing for trees. Hell you dont have to re-lamp for at least 10 years.

Also Coppermoon makes a surface mount that works very nice on trees.

7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

The best thing about the Arrow T59 SS staple is how discreet they are. The wire lays flat up against the tree and is barely noticeable. No hardware coming out of the tree either.

8. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

How much bigger is it compared to t55

9. Outdoors_Unlimited

Outdoors_Unlimited LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know what copper piping patinas are, but anything copper will kill the tree.

The fastest was to kill a tree is to drive a copper nail into the trunk.

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

The Arrow T59 is nothing like a T55. The T59 is a specially designed staple for the installation of cable, coax, etc. It has an integral insulator on it that sheaths the cable. They are available in stainless steel and require the use of the T59 Staple Gun.

As for using copper pipe as an abrasion conduit at the base of the tree... that would work. No harm would come to the tree as it is just a conduit to protect the cable from whipper snippers, edgers, etc. Just be sure not to attach anything copper into the tree!