1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fixture recommendation?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by FATWEASEL, Nov 28, 2006.

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'm building a privacy fence at my residence and need some ideas from you guys for a fixture to use for proper lighting.

The only lighting that I currently have is the corners of the house and they are positioned to light down the sides of the house so there is basically nothing to light the back yard.

The fence is wood, 6' high x 8' long panels between 6"x6" post. 11 panels across the back, 13 panels down each side. Roughly 100' x 110' is what I'm working with. It also has copper caps on each post for what it's worth.

I had originally looked at a line voltage sconce fixture 75w to downlight or wash the fence. I had considered 5 fixtures on each wall of the fence but figured that would be too much even for indirect lighting not to mention 1125 watts everytime I flip a switch. Even 3 on each wall would still be 675 watts at the rated bulb. On top of that the fixture was kinda big and kinda ugly...too utilitarian.

Anyway, some ideas would be appreciated. Oh, the fence panels are framed with 2x6 rails at the top and bottom and a middle 2x6 rail 12" below the top rail. I need pics, sorry!

I've got access to Vista through JDL and had looked at the 4250 step light possibly mounted on the fence post but I have no idea how many or the best way to route all the lights. I think the 4250 comes with 10w bulbs.

All ideas are welcome!:)

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Andy... Your right the 75w fixtures would be too much. As you said PICTURES!

from NC

Ooooh ooooh!!! 57 reviews and I finally got a reply!:laugh: Thanks! I'll post some tomorrow if the weather holds up. I leave when it's dark and I get home when it's dark.:cry:
  4. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I know what you mean there, we are working 12 hour days, 6 days a week right now. It would be good to see some pics.

from NC

Here are some pics. Forgive the mess, it's a work in progress.:rolleyes: Forgive the bluriness, 20 mph winds all day.:dancing:

Like I said, the panels are 8 feet long by 6 feet high. The post are 6x6. There are 11 panels across the back and 13 down each side

from NC

Back fence.

from NC

Left side.

from NC

Close-up of panel.

9. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

awfully difficult to make accurate recommendation with being there to see it in person. wouldn't get to carried away creating outline of fence all the way around. You have alot of beautiful landscaping to draw the eye. consider planting grasses or annuals/perrenials that you can splash with light and cast shadows on the fence, while grazing fence in proportioned places so that other lanscaping is silohetted at view from your back deck/patio. The 4250 is a nice fixture and might be suitable at entry gates but I would not use the 4250 along the whole fence line because you're not going to be walking along it so you would want to plant something underneath to create something visually interesting to look at and while that's an option I wouldn't do it at your house. That being said, you'll probably get 4 different opinions by tomorrow. that's the exciting thing about lighting...we're all artists, by looking at your work so are you. If one way was the right way there would only be one painter using one type of paint, painting all the paintings in the world. Nice fence!!! good luck

from NC

Thank you very much for the compliments. The back yard is a disaster in my mind but I feel pretty good about building the fence. It became a necessity when I recieved unexpected neighbors behind me :rolleyes: and we begain having problems with kids walking through our back yard.:nono: :gunsfirin

At this time, my goal is to have a warm indirect light that is bright enough around the back yard that I can see where I'm walking or stepping at night. The majority of the mulched areas will be filled with shrubs later so that what might seem 'too much' now will be lessened later on. I also plan to rip out the deck and build a raised patio and some paver pathways. Once this is in, the plantings are done, and I'm through tearing up the yard, I'll want to add some real accent lighting.

My thoughts behind the downlighting vs uplighting is that the downlights would be up and out of the way. More protection for the bulb and lense from water, dirt, leaves, etc...and that I wouldn't have to be as picky with shrub placement later on. The 4250 comes with a 10w but will accept a 20w. I don't know what that would look like in terms of brightness against the fence and on the ground but it's supposed to have a 3 foot spread at 24"s so I was hoping that at 4-5 feet would provide adequate lighting.

I'm not against uplighting but I don't know how a flood will look on a structure that's only six feet tall and how far away from the fence I'd have to place them.

These are just my thoughts. I'm not limiting myself to one fixture of style or brand so please feel free to chime in with your thoughts or ideas.