Fl license question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by General Landscaping, May 24, 2006.

1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

a question for those who might know...
    Can a person get a ornamental and turf license (minimal requirements, limited to parks, golf course, and cemeteries)
    Use that to treat some low-rent cemeteries for three years and then use that experience to count towards the requirements for Pest Control Operator (PCO) -Lawn and Ornamental

Descriptions found here FL license

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

in a word...no
    the liscence you are referring to is a public applicators liscence. It is needed for governmental worl (city or county) and dont forget the insurance. You will need it for that kind of work.

3. olive123

besides you would still need an a.s. degree in hort or pest control technology plus the 3 years.

4. olive123

to get the PCO that is...

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Are we looking at the same table?

Looks like the one on the far right (Ornamental and Turf) is available to commercial for $160/4 yr + pass a test(no qualifications needed to take). For all practical commercial purposes; it is limited to cemeteries.

To be able to sit for the PCO test one must have:
    3 years employment as a service employee of a licensed business that performs lawn and ornamental pest control, OR.......

Seems like the experience from the Ornamental and Turf should count towards the PCO requirements.:confused:

6. olive123

"Those qualifying through education must also document one year of service employment as a service employee of a licensee that performs pest control in any category or categories that the person is seeking to be examined in."

Commercial pc falls into this. In order to apply as a business to a cemetary you will need a commercial app liscence.
    http://flaes.org/complimonitoring/databasesearch/applcert&licensing.html#License Types
    this is the page from dacs...

7. dallen

dallen LawnSite Member

Sometimes you just have to live on the edge. Stick it to the Man. Print up your own license and have at it!

8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Olive123, that is a useful web site you linked.
    I have had several requests to re-locate to the Sarasota/Bradenton area
    and one of the question points was license transferal.
    Although I am not going to re-locate, it's nice to know I can with a minimum of hassle.

9. olive123

yea i agree florida well south fla anyway...there making it so you cant live there anymore. Not a decent house under 300k and insurance going through the roof and i feel sorry for anyone living east of 95...they are going to have a ***** of a time with their ins.
    I like the idea of that reciprocal program!

10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Olive, where in Fort Lauderadale do you reside?
    Previously I lived in Coral Springs yet worked in Scumrise, I mean Sunrise.
    I did some skip tracing through Broward and Palm Beach Counties.
    Also did some Fed Government work in Miami at the Federal Courthouse.
    Florida is way too crowded for me.
    I'll visit the realitives but that's it.