Flag stone around a pond

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by jphag, Apr 3, 2008.

1. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

What is the best way to permently install a flagstone walkway around a pond. The client wants it to over hang the edge approx 4 inch.

Thanks,

2. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Off the top of my head I would do a wet set with larger stone around the perimeter. What is the pond edge made off or how is it set up?

3. TRBIGCREEK

TRBIGCREEK LawnSite Member

4 inches is a lot. Be sure your stone is thick and strong enough. Around here the flagstone we've been getting from one particular quarry has to much sand in it and is not strong enough for that. Definitely a wet lay job.

TR

4. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Why woudln't you wet set the flagstone? How and what would be the best way to terminate the edge of flagstone at the edge of the pond pond? The pond currently has a liner that comes up and over the edge and river rock as a border. The customer wants to be able to walk around the pond. In the past when I have done flagstone projects I use a crushed breeze as a filler between the cracks but this will not work at the edge as it will erode into the pond.

Any other input?

Thanks

5. TRBIGCREEK

As long as your seams are tight you can put something under your the flag and still grout the seams. I'm sure this will get laughed at but I have duct taped the bottom of my stone and grouted, then removed the tape when the grout cures.

TR

6. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

John,

I WOULD wet set the stone. Pour a base pad as close to the edge as possible and set your flag in a mortar bed. As TR said use a thick stone at least 2"-3'' stone if possible. Get your overhang that you want and have your stone come back at least 18" past the original edge. I would groute the joints if possible.

7. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

I appoligize. When I read your first reply I thought you said you WOULDN"T wet set the flag stone. Thanks. How about if I mix some motar with crushed breeze. Do you use breeze to fill the joints?

Thanks,

8. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

If it works without leaching stuff into the water. I'm unfamiliar with breeze???

9. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Breeze is basically the crushed parts of the flagstone. It works good to fill your joints and cracks because it matches well. However it isn't as strong as mortar.

10. TRBIGCREEK

I work alot with flag and water features and do not use breeze. The sharp shards are asking for a liner puncture.

TR