flaging out for aeration.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Sep 11, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i get the lawn client to flag out his own system,some contractors do it for them ,i let them do it.
    i give them a pack of my pesticide app. flags and they go to it...
    1.do you guys use your pesticide flags for this?
    2. do you use the ones with the wire staft(seems to go into the soil better)
    3. do you send out (via.. mail) the small plastic stakes that some companys sell for aeration?
    the reason i am asking is it seems like i am going throu a lot of pest. flags and they are runed when i get them back.
    ant

2. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I assume you are talking aobut flagging irrigation. I use old used flags that I have picked up over the past years. The were used by irrigation companies after new installs. I give them to the home owner and pick them up after I aerate.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The cheapest place I have seen to get the wire marking flags is at Lesco. This is what I use.

I know your going to ask me how much, but I got mine several years ago. I do know that at Ace Hardware, they were 19 cents a piece, but if I remember right, these were more like $5.00 a hundred, a nickel a piece and they will last for years. ;)

4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I have the customer mark their own irrigation heads. I just buy a couple hundred pesticide flags and then use them up next spring. People must wonder why so many flags when driving by, but they are only there for a day.
    I drop them off the week before I aerateand call the customer the day before I come. I collect them after I aerate.

jeffyr

5. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

Do you give a discount when the customer puts in the flags for you? Or do you require them to do it (to avoid liability when hitting spray pop-ups?)

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I tell my customers to have the flags up when we arrive. I do not have flags to put up, nor do I plan on putting them out. I have the customers place the flags therefore I'm not responsoible.

Ray

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I just got a bundel of 100 flags from A.M.Lenard for $5.24 plus shipping.

Gene

8. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

We have reached the point where we do not supply flags for customers. It is too time consuming and it is very inefficient to drive around delivering flags.

We simply tell them to flag their heads by a certain date....if the sprinkler heads are not marked we will charge them $4 per zone to mark them for them in addition to aeration. If they request flags we simply say "We're sorry, unfortunately do not provide them anymore. Hardware stores and home centers carry them for less than $5 for 50; that way you'll have your own set of flags for any future needs." If they insist we will sell them 50 flags for $50 (which includes our time to drive out and deliver them).

9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had trouble finding the sprinkler heads myself - most of them are hidden by blades of grass. What's the best way to do that?

10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I go to a sprinkler supply store and buy them for less then $3- for 100