Flags on lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowtown Mike, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

What do you guys do about the small red and yellow flags marking underground natural gas lines and other wires. Do you mow around them or pick them up and throw them away. How long do they have to be there? This is in a new developed areas. What about the wooden stakes for elevation markers? Can I take them down or should I leave them up? I do not want to piss anybody off. I want to do the right thing, but not cost me money in time and effort by weed whacking around these annoying things.
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i would mark where they are with a little bit of lawn spray paint, then remove them and cut, then replace, the paint should be visible for about a month. i'm sure there are better ways.
  3. K&A Lawncare

K&A Lawncare LawnSite Member

i personally wouldn't mess with them. Just trim around them if you have to.
  4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Oklahoma they are only good for 14 days if acontractor doesn't get the job done he has to call and get it reflagged. I remove them if they have been there 14 days.
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Same here in Illinois, I remove them after 2 weeks also.
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

NEVER, remove them and put them back in, once you do that you may be liable if a line is cut or someone gets hurt while digging because they hit a electrical line. Painted lines on the ground means different things for these utility companies. If you hit one while mowing throw it away or leave it lay. Don't put the liability on yourself be tampering with them.
  7. JCP Crafts

JCP Crafts LawnSite Member

Ask the homeowner or property manager what you should do with them....They may be needed or they may be finished with them,but don't throw them away without an answer they were put there for a reason and if you put them back any kind of way you please you may cause harm or death to someone.
  8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

On one of my accounts there must have been 25 of those flags grouped in one little section. There was no way to mow between them so i just mowed around the whole area. Weeks have gone by and now some are missing but there was never any construction work done in that area.
  9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

It was a test plot for a new variety of drought tolerant plantings to give color.
  10. jwscroll

jwscroll LawnSite Member

2 weeks is all I give em. Or if the marks on the ground are gone, then it's time for the flags to go. Most cable, power, and gas companies check and mark that stuff for free, it's cheaper in the long run.