Flagsone path bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scottt, Jul 22, 2001.

1. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

As part of a design I am working on, I am wanting to add a flagstone path. The path would be about 4' wide and 75' long. I priced the materials and for the stone to be delivered it will be around $950. I have never put in a flagstone path before and was wondering how long it would take. Maybe and average time for foot also to help me bid on other jobs. Also, since I will use no mortar, should I cut a hole for each stone individually or use a sod cutter I will already have at the site to excavate the entire path and then fill in between the stones with the leftover sod? Any help would be appreciated since I have never done anything like this before. The main thing I want to know is how long it will take for a novice.

2. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me like it's going to take about 5 times as long as it would to do a regular flagstone path.

You will still need to excavate down about 6" where you are going to place each stone, then fill with 4" of 3/4 crushed and fines and 1" of sand all thuroghly tamped. If you fail to set stone properly it will heave, break and become uneven. When this happens the path can, and probably will, become dangerous.

I would probably reccomend simply going with a conventional flagstone walkway. In the summer the grass between the stone tends to burn anyway, unless the path is in the shade.

Good Luck,
    Jim L

3. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

greens1,
    By conventional path, do you mean stones set in mortar? If I did this, how long do you think it would take. Thanks for your help.

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I think by 'conventional' he means preparing a base similar to that of a paver walkway (run a search here for info on that). Cutting out an inch of sod and placing stone on top of that would be the unconventional method.

We've cut individual pieces into a lawn for a certain effect, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do.

As for how ,ong it will take you, I couldn't even guess. I have no idea how skilled you are in this arena.

It would likely take me with 2 guys a day (and probably a shade more). But I lay stone more than twice as fast as my fastest guy. As this sounds like it's your first try at flagstone, it will likely take you much longer.

If you're serious about adding this to your repertoire of services, take your time and learn as much as you can from this project; how the stone behaves, how big ones behave differently than small, thin different than fat.

5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of good info here, just need a good calculator to convert english to metric. A very informative site for stone work.

I know most of the level of work of the guys here, but this company has done some amazing stuff. I would love to go to england to work for this guy for a summer. Knowledge gain would be pay enough.

http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/paving/tradetip.htm

steveair

6. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Scott,

Stonehenge is right on,I mean a paver base with dry morter brushed between the flagstone joints.
    You may want to digest a book or two on the subject, before you make your bid decision and decide on a construction method.

Flagstone thickness, color and shape varies considerably. It will probably take you a while to set the stone properly.

Buy a good 6' level and leave lots of extra time. I usually cut the stone with a diamond blade to fit given areas and try and leave the largest pices in the center, or just off center, of the walkway.

Good Luck,
    Jim L