Flagstone filler sand

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Loganwildman, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Loganwildman

Loganwildman LawnSite Member

What do you recommend to fill inbetween the flagstone? I thought about using paver locking sand, but at $10 a bag, that is too expensive.

I'm looking for any suggestions!

2. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

i've used crushed lime

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

How about concrete sand to fill between, then top dress with the stablilizer sand which will help prevent weed germination, plus give you either grey or tan color.

could also use stonedust, but won't compact great in big gaps.

4. Loganwildman

Thats the conclusion we came to. compact it after getting the stone laid, brush in mason sand, compact it, then brush on the paver locking sand. Shouldn't use anywhere near as much.

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

well there ya go!:D

Have you done it yet? worked out ok?

They only issue I had with stabilizing sand the first time I used it was that it hardens up quickly when you wet it. So, sweep it into the cracks pretty good before you wet it down. ie don't leave it spread out across your stones/pavers when you wet it, or you'll have to scrub it off with a brush
    :(

6. Loganwildman

Not yet. We are still laying stone! There is 940 sq ft to lay, and we are 60% complete. When we get the project complete, I will post pics. We have been working from a concept prepared by an LA, however after pointing out that the LA's ideas for the pergolas don't make much sense, the homeowners agreed and we made changes. Added about 200 sq ft to the flagstone, and went with 1 bigger pergola instead of 4 skinny ones. Money doesn't seem to be an option for the homeowner. (Attorney) It has been a big project and we have learned alot. (for one thing it is taking longer than I thought)

7. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

I have somewhat of a similar question I have run out of course sand that I was going to use as my joint filler bewteen my pavers (basket weave pattern using a rectangle brick and square brick) Its 285 sq ft.... How do I estimate how much more sand I would need......... Any ideas suggestions?..

Secondly I was planning on using course sand as my joint filler however after doing a test with some it seemed like it contained an awful lot of larger pebbles which took awhile to work in the joints,,,,,,,, ICPI states u can use either Mason sand or Coarse but when I asked the landscape yard I was told that Mason Sand and I quote "its way to fine and will bleedout over time? I was however planning on using Sandlock..........Can anyone comment on pro's cons coarse vs mason........would using the sandlock with the mason sand solve this??????

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If the coarse sand is only for joint filler, you probably would be fine with getting 1/2 ton of it. Sand is cheap, you won't be wasting a lot of money.

Most (if not all) of our quarries around here have a $10 minimum charge, so that is what you would be looking at, whether you got a 1/2 ton or a full ton.....

If it's needed for leveling base, for the full 285 square feet of patio, you would probably need somewhere in the nieghborhood of 1 1/2 tons.

As for what to use as joint filler, ICPI may state that you can use mason's sand, but I've never heard good things about using it. It does not allow water to pass through it very well, which can cause puddling in the patio if you have any low spots. It can also wash out it heavy downpours, from what I understand.

If it was me, I'd be looking for "concrete" sand, around here it's called #23 sand, or 23's. It's in between mason's sand and the coarse sand that you have as far as coarseness.

Dan