Flagstone job pics.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by peacefulfalls, Apr 12, 2008.

1. peacefulfalls

peacefulfalls LawnSite Member

I did this flagstone job 3 years ago, I usually only do 1 or 2 a year. I try to just do waterfeatures. The upclose pic was right after being done and the other one was 2 years later. I used 8'' of compacted base and 2'' sand screeded and enviro bond sand for the joints. I love that stuff it looks like mortar and is rock hard, no weeds or anything. I have a homeowner that wants a square cut pattern bluestone patio, but I have never done that and it looks like it would be really hard to do, I think im going to pass. How hard is it to do sawn square pattren versus the way I generally do them? Yes I did that small pondless waterfall in the pic.

patio.jpg

patio2.jpg

2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Looks Great! You did a nice job.

3. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Using the sawed cut dimensional bluestone is much easier than the irregular IMO. We use 1 inch of bedding sand, edge restraint, and sweep poly sand just as you did. What part of the installation makes you think it is difficult?

4. peacefulfalls

peacefulfalls LawnSite Member

Do you use a crushed rock base, when you use sawn bluestone, and is there a certain pattern you need to follow when doing it? I dont like to take jobs doing things I have never done. I would imagine you still prep the base the same and just follow a pattern or do all the joints line up.

5. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

We used reprocessed here. Use whatever material meets gradation in your area, more than likely it will be the same material used as a road base. There is no associated pattern, it’s at random. Some guys make patterns to follow to simplify things, but we just go at random watching for bonds and the areas where all four corners meet (untactful). On a dryset application, we try to use stone that is close to uniform as possible from the distributor to eliminate having to manually prep the bedding sand for adjustments. For example, we pay extra for a specific bluestone imported from China. We install base, screed out 1" of sand, and just lay the field. There is little to no adjustments because the stone is so uniform, we even use 3/8 tile spaces to keep super consistent joints. Be prepared to use a decent amount of poly sand as the joints are deep. As an alternative you can use all one-size flag, like 24x36 and run on half bond. That will give you a more formal look, but that style should be in perspective with the overall architecture of the house. Don’t be afraid of the mosaic, this project will just add to your portfolio. And by the way, don’t tamp the stones into the bedding sand. Use 1 1/4"+ thick flagging and the sheer weight of the stone and foot traffic will settle the stone into the sand. Ask away if you have any more questions.

6. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Great Job!!!

7. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

How does poly sand work, I mean how is it mixed, applied and leveled between the joints? Thanks

8. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

does the poly sand look ok on small pavers or does it show the "grout"lines too much?

9. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Nice furniture. One of my customers just purchased the same stuff.

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Looks nice.

I see some wide groute gaps.

A good mason will keep ALL joints consistant in width and will shape the stone in effort to maintain consistant joints.

Still looks good, though :)

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com