Flagstone over concrete

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Bowbender, May 7, 2008.

1. Bowbender

Bowbender LawnSite Member

I was asked to bid a job for a new customer that wants flagstone installed over a concrete patio. The concrete cannot be removed. Any suggestions on how to proceed? There are no visible cracks in the patio. This is a one story condo with no basement. Is there an adhesive that would work? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I would use good mortar. Flagstone is probably not going to be a consistant enough thickness to use an adhesive. You need to use your mortar as a leveling bed. I actually have a slab poured first if I can when I install mortared flagstone. Good luck.

3. Bowbender

Thanks for the advise Venturewest.

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Use mortar......only mortar. Portland Type 1 & 2 or Type S.

If there is a Luck Stone/Charles Luck close by pick up some Asian Bluestone.....its gauged and more consistant then flag/blue stone.

Not to be rude, but sounds like you don't know what you're doing. Go to a stone yard and speak to someone reputable for tips and they may even visit your jobsite to help you out with tips etc. Afterall, the more hardscaping you do.......the more product they can sell you.

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree with mr. tthomas.

I believe that one should never do stonework for a customer until you have experimented and gotten some experience.

best approach would be to find a good stone guy (or gal) and sub the work to him/her.

6. Bowbender

Thank you all for the replies. They are greatly appreciated.