Flagstone over pavers?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by freedm2, May 12, 2008.

1. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I'm a homeowner who had a paver patio installed by a "pro" 4 years ago. It's always looked horrible. Uneven after compaction since day 1. I had him come back and try to fix it. He re-compacted without laying sand and the compactor put long white scratches all over the patio. I complained again and he left me a nasty voicemail with the F-bomb. I cut my losses and moved on.

Now I'd like to cover the entire thing with flagstone. The base of my patio is every strong. 10-12 inches of crushed-modified, 1-2 inches of concrete sand. The finish work was poor, not the foundation.

I'm thinking of using another 1 inch of sand on top of the pavers and laying the flags on it. OR I could do another 2-3 inches of crushed-mod and laying the flags directly over that.

Thoughts? I don't belive I would have drainage issues...

Thanks.

2. Mancinioldhorse

Mancinioldhorse LawnSite Member

It's rarely the finish work that makes pavers lie uneven...It's almost always the base & prep.

not enough gravel, sand, poorly compacted, not leveled, poor drainage, could be a lot of reasons, but it's rarely the finish work.

I don't think I'd throw good money after bad. Get someone in there first to analyze the problem, then pull the pavers, fix the problem, then do what you want to do...but fix the original problem first.

3. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

With the expense of the pavers I'd at least pull them first if you want to lay flag. You can sell/give away or use them elsewhere in the future. Why cover up an expensive product that has little to nothing wrong with it? Also - as Mancini said it isn't the finish on the pavers that is screwed up. If you pull them and put another 2" of slag sand down, level correctly then compact and lay some leveling sand, (this is your "finish" work for a good level patio) you should be able to put the pavers back down or your flagstone and have no problems...assuming the original base was compacted in lifts correctly.
    Post some pics and we may be able to give some better advise.

4. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

When I said the finish work was bad I meant the leveling of the base. I meant to say that the foundation was fairly deep with crushed stone and it was compacted several times. He dug it out, compacked the soil. Laid crushed modified, packed it. Soaked it with water, packed it. Came back 2 days later and packed it again after it rained. Then he laid the sand.

The walkway is perfect but the patio stinks. I didn't want to bother with removing the pavers since they are solid. I figured I could add just enough stone/sand to level and lay the flags over top. If I remove the pavers I'll have to at least a few more inches of stone/sand since the pavers are thicker than the flags and I'm already at grade.

Just an idea. Looking for an "easy" way to rid myself of the appearence of the patio. There is no drainage reason or otherwise why I shouldn't lay flags over the pavers? I know it's probably not the more elegant solution.