flagstone patio set in sand??

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by n2h20, Feb 21, 2008.

1. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

SO i did a little patio out of flagstone. The customer wanted it to be set in sand, with no cement.

So my question is what can i do to help "set" the sand in the "grout lines"?

Now its just sand, and when it rains or the hose is on it, it washes out.

Any suggestions?

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Its just a dry lay. We do it all the time, we set the stones in 2 inches of bedding sand, and fill in the joints with soil and plant in between the stones.

3. n2h20

exactly.. but using sand as the grout, how do you make it so the sand stays put and doesn't wash out?
    she didn't want plants in between the rocks. I tried..

4. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

We set flagstone on 8-12" of modified stone, compacted in lifts. Screed out a 1" bedding layer, and lay the field. The joints are filled with a polynumeric joint lock the same application used in ICP. We also apply a sealer to all natural flagstone patios. Low profile edge restraint is also a must.

5. Captains Landscape

patternbluestone.jpeg

6. n2h20

116 views and only 2 replies???

no one has any suggestions...
    bummer.

7. Captains Landscape

what? sand is a terrible material to be used in that application, end of story. Wash out, track it in the house, gets disturbed with just a little rain, ect. The way I described is how you want to set flagstone. In a dry lay I would use stone dust in the joints over sand any day.

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

If youre doing rough flagstone, try polymeric sand in the joints. Keep them as small as possible, works though.

9. n2h20

thanks,
    this is rough flagstone rocks,, odd shapes and sizes. i think plant material in between the "lines" will be the best solution.

10. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Or you can use various types of gravel in the joints - crushed granite, blackstar gravel etc.