Flagstone Pool Deck

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by landscapingpoolguy, Jan 10, 2005.

1. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guys,

Well here is my first bid since my return. Its Approximately 1300 sqft of what appears to be mortared Arizona Rose Flagstone. The problem the customer is having is that there are sections where there are low spots, cracking mortar, every flag is seperated from the mortar joint, it basically looks like hell. Also the coping around the pool has too many sharp edges. He wants to fix the deck reusing the original stone. I lifted some of the stones at the edges, and there does appear to be a slab underneath. Some of these pieces to me look pretty small tho, and flag ive done the flags are at least 24" x 36" and I usually trim the edges of the stone consistent with the adjacent stone to make a consistantly wide joint. My question is do you think its reusable? and secondly any suggestions for other copings? I dont like how thin the arizona flag is, and even if I cut it straight with the pool deck, I still feel it will crack in the future.

Chuck

2. landscapingpoolguy

Oh man tells me file is too large how do I make it smaller?

Chuck

3. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

It won't adhere well to the new mortar if the old mortar is present.

A lot of work to put a new level surface on, remember to leave enough room for a proper mortar bed (1/2")

That type flag seems to have a little more sand stone...crumbly...new stone is better at 1 1/2" thickness.

I mix a higher portland percentage for the mortar...I like a harder finish...keep it stiff.

Use the bag to do the joints at the end, and a lot of sponge work to clean.

Temps need to be above 40...

We charge more if the client wants to reuse...I have to take more time and energy on the demolition to try and save some.

4. landscapingpoolguy

Im trying to get the pictures up to show the job, but I have to reduce the file size and I dont know how.

5. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Go to this web site: www.resize2mail.com

You can resize all your pictures so that you can post them. A good site. Easy to use.

Good Luck

6. landscapingpoolguy

This should work now.

Flagstone Deck2.jpg

7. landscapingpoolguy

Also where that Jap Maple is he wants me to build him a huge waterfall, 8 ft high cascading into the pool.

8. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

not worth saving...crap joints and material
    looks like an inexperienced company installed it
    joints need to be tighter
    slope needs to be taken into account...typically 1" in 10' is the max for good drainage away from the pool

emailhawker.jpg

9. landscapingpoolguy

How come you dont think the stones are salvageable? I know it was a bad job by the first company, that is why he needs to redo it. This pool is also raised out of the ground about 3- 4 ft, it is out on a penninsula of a lake. I think the deck cracking is also a result of settling.

Chuck

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member