1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flagstone Raised Planting beds Pics

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by clandscaper, Dec 7, 2007.

1. clandscaper

clandscaper LawnSite Member

More pics of another job I did this summer. It was a small job, the retaining wall for the beds is dry laid colonial flagstone (about 50' long, highest point is roughly 2.5'). Interested to see what you guys think...

Flagstone Raised Planting beds
  2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Nice work..looks like the pallets were unusually good to work with.
  3. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Nice wall! Did you have to remove some of the clapboards behind the bed or was the foundation painted red? Also, why did you leave a space between the sidewalk and the wall. Will that be grass?
  4. clandscaper

clandscaper LawnSite Member

I didn't have to remove any of the claps, But i did put up some flashing where plywood met the foundation. This determined the high point of the wall.

I left the space so that way when the homeowner has to shover his sidewalk in the winter he will have an inch or two as a buffer between the two, and I figured I would leave a gap because most likely the sidewalk will be replaced within the next two years so the gap will prevent the wall from because disturbed during that inevitable project.
  5. jonmcmeen

jonmcmeen LawnSite Member

Great Work! I think that stone work fits perfectly with the house. Did you mortar the top coarse to stop anybody from knocking them off? (Given the the rest was dry-laid?)
  6. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

looks great!

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Nice To See Someone Thinks Past Today When Planning Thier Job. Most Would Not Have Thought To Leave An Edge For Sidewalk.
  8. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I get a kick out of reading your replies. Every first letter is capitalized. If it weren't for periods, I wouldn't know where the sentences ended or started. Hehe, just pulling your chain.

Nice work brother!