Flagstone style path installation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by smithf36, Jun 26, 2003.

1. smithf36

smithf36 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am going to be installing a flagstone walk. I will be using Spring Hill Flagstone, which is about 2-2 1/2 inches thick and fairly consistent. I am installing them by digging out the sod/soil to about 4-5 inches, installing a compacted 2" base of stone and then using a layer of sand to level the flagstone - much like installing pavers. My question is this: What product should I use to fill in around, in the cracks of the flag stone? Just more sand, or gravel or what looks good. I don't intend on the cracks being bigger than an inch or so. I am also using a plastic paver edging to hold the turf back so it does't grow into the walk. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe Smith
    Earthscapes, Inc.

2. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

You can use sand if runoff wont cause a problem. I have used pea gravel and decomposed granite. I personally prefer decomposed granite, which I also use as a base.

Bryan

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

For bluestone, its okay to use a modified, or quarry blend base, but you should then use stone dust/screenings for your final 3/4" - 1". This material is more suitable and matches color better too.

4. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

for all of our dry laid patios we use a mixture of portland cement and silica sand to fill joints. Sweep it in dry then lightly hose it down. Sometimes it takes a couples of applications to fill in completely but looks great.