Flagstone through driveway

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by blafleur, Sep 23, 2004.

1. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I have a customer I have been doing a lot of assorted work for and am presently completely circling her house with a flagstone walkway (set in gravel/sand base) meandering through various plantings, starting on one side of their front entry driveway, and coming out on the opposite side of the driveway after going around the house. The driveway is being formed up this week and they came up with the idea of forming a 4" depression across the driveway where the walkway meets it, and mortaring in flagstone to make one complete unbroken path. My first thought was that's a neat idea, then I got to wondering how a mortared flagstone would hold up to vehicular traffic. Anyone got any insight?

Bryan

2. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

My first thought is that is wouldn't hold up, but i may be wrong. Yesterday, we drove over a grass border that was flagstone with a skidsteer. We cracked it in a couple places, but the key is in the process of laying it. I would think that if the flagstone was laid in concrete, completely level and had no gaps is shouldn't crack, but it could be real tough. Maybe stamp the concrete in that area to look like flagstone. Done right it looks pretty good. But then again, stamped concrete against real flagstone may not look so good. Fake looks good until it is up against the real thing. I do a lot of flagstone patios in concrete but they are only for foot traffic. come to think of it, I have never seem a flagstone driveway. There may be a reason. I would hate to warrenty the flagstone and end up replacing it every year.

3. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I too have never seen a flagstone driveway, and thats what got me thinking. I have already told them I wouldnt warranty it, and they're ok with that, but I still want to inform them as best I can. It will be encased on 2 sides by the concrete of the rest of the driveway, and under the flagstone will be concrete the same thickness as the rest of the driveway, so it is well supported, but I still wonder.

Bryan

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

The only time I've ever seen equipment/vehicles driven on bluestone set in mortar (I'm assuming that's close to your flagstone), the concrete underneath broke, and the bluestone broke where the concrete did... But, the equipment was parked/driven over a corner, which is why it broke.

I've got a feeling that as long as the mortar bed was complete under the stone, you may not have problems. But, I'd use some pretty strong mortar, maybe even richen it more than normal with more Portland, and mix it as dry as you can stand it....

It's worth a try, just as long as you have made it perfectly clear to the client that you don't know what it'll do!

Have you tried contacting any masons that have dealt with that particular stone?

Dan

5. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Havnt talked to any masons but I just called the stone yard, and they didnt think it was a good idea. At least for the stone being used at this house, they thought just what I was worried about, that even if the concrete and mortar was strong enough, the stone itself could break up in layers. I hope I can catch them in time, even though they still may want to do it. I am putting in a "disposable" $6000 block wall and stone patio, they intend to take it down and do something else later. I've never worked for anyone quite like this.

Thanks Dan and Desertrat.

Bryan