Flagstone walkway quote?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Morley, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Morley

Morley LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Hi,

I am about to get a new walkway done in front
    of my house, it will be aprox 3' x 20'
    so a total of 60 sq feet.

Up here in Canada, flagstone goes for about 5$ a sq foot
    Canadian funds of course.

I would like to know how much am I looking at as far as labour
    to have the walkway done? Wont be anything super fancy, just the
    flagstone, and a border. There is no elevations, just flat surface,
    but the walkway I would like it to swirve a little, kind of like a
    mild "S" shape.

Any ideas on how much this should cost me?
    I am getting some people calling me back with quotes and
    want to know what is a reasonable price for a job like this?
    Providing that I buy the materials needed?

Any help, greatly appreciated. :)
    THanks,

Morley

2. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

will the stone be set in sand or mortared on concrete? I would say at least 12 a sq ft in sand about 20 a sq ft on cement

3. Morley

Morley LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it will be sand only.
    Also, how long of a job is this normally?

4. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

depends how large the stones are and how fast you can level them out.....its hard to get um perfect in sand and infact they never really are perfect when built in sand. also it depends on what you plan on cutting teh stones with the close up teh joints between them. I use a ts 400 with a diamond blade. over lap the two stones a little then cut the bottom one an dthey usually fit pretty well

Chuck

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would charge $15 sqft. to install, lay out some sand, run a compactor over top of it. Hopefully you have a transit to do leveling, otherwise do it like you would a paver walkway. Shouldn't be to hard to level em off, and it should really only take a day, day n a half tops unless your removing an existing walk.

Jeff

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all, why are you buying the material? Most people here are contractors, and I assure you that they all will agree that when a client insists on buying the material, it sends out a red flag to us, and usually causes us to charge you more for the labor than it would of if we provided the stone.

There really is no savings for a customer to buy their own material. The only instance is if you have a 'connection' where you are going to get a rock bottom price. And don't think because you are getting a 'contractor' price from a supplier it is saving you any money.

If you want to hire a professional contractor, act like a professional client. Let them do the work for you......after all, that IS why you are hiring one.

Second of all, a 3ft wide walk is not very suitable for a front entrance way. I always start my walks out at 4 ft wide, as they are much more pratical. Therefore, I would consider this job to be at least 80 sq ft, and most likely, there will 'bulges' at both beginning and end, so in essence, it may be more like 100 sq ft.

As for price, it is going to vary. A proper base of compacted stone should be installed for a project like this if you want it to last. Being this is a front entrance way, I would strongly suggest doing the job right the first time, as movement in the stones over the years may be hazardous. In a high traffic area like a front entrance walk, I always suggest a sound installation. A sand base is not.

Is this a random pattern flagstone or are you talking about square pieces of stone? The random will draw a higher price as installation is more timely.

If you are getting prices from professional, insured contractors, I would imagine prices would go from around $1500.00 and up. It is a small job and and the price for sq. ft. will be considerably higher than a larger one. The biggest problem is I have no idea what your expecations are and a 'flagstone' walk means many different things to different contractors. If you were to say a paver walk, that would be much easier for us to generalize.

7. Morley

Morley LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Well the contractor I spoke to yesterday told me where to go
    and buy the stone. He does not care, as he has the materials
    delivered to the site anyway. So this way I can go to the location
    and check out what flagstone we would like to have, then purchase it and have him do the work.

We decided that we want the random flagstone, and from what
    he has told us, he digs 8" down and lays crushed stone, and then
    lays stone dust, and then puts in the flagstone.

I know that having flagstone mortered in cement is the way to go,
    but we are not looking to have this done. We may need to
    dig up the front next year anyway, so at least we can move the stones out if need be.
    I have seen it done in sand also and it looks nice.