1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

flagstone walkways

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by rscritch, Aug 17, 2005.

1. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

ive been reading different ways to install flagstone patios, the company that i work for uses Oak select flagstone and lays it in a 3-4" mortar base over and 8" sub base, ive been reading that your supose to use a concrete sub base and was wondering which way was correct, also im wanting to install one for my girl friends parents and they want to pay me but im not sure how to charge, ive installed tons of them but never bothered to find out how much they cost
  2. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Anything mortared needs to be on a slab, otherwise a good gravel base with the flagging set in stonedust is more than adequate.
    Here's one with a natural look we just finished. Gravel base, stonedust, all hammered joints (no saws), with a rough uncut edge to stay with the natural theme of the house
    The walkway took about 1 1/2 days with 2 guys. That includes base prep through to sweeping the joints when all flagging was laid

McMer 018.jpg

McMer 008.jpg

McMer 009.jpg

McMer 010.jpg
  3. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

how did you get the joints to match up so nice like that, that is very impressive, the way i was taught was to have a mortar joint some where around 1/2-3/4" thats amazing
  4. MarcusLndscp

I just start in an area with the larger slabs, in this case close to the stairs off the house then continue to match pieces to the ones already laid. If they need to be cut down in size I scribe the stone with my hammer where I want it to be cut and then start chipping the excess off. With this stone it doesn't take too long, maybe a couple minutes. I then set it back to the stone it's going against and make any fine adjustments to each rock. If I get a weak piece of stone that breaks totally in the wrong spot I don't sweat it too much as long as the piece that broke off is still the size of a piece of paper or so. I'll just hammer the joint where it broke off the main piece and use it in the same spot it broke from. The smaller pieces actually break up the monotony of the larger ones quite well. You can see a few of these "broken" pieces in the pics. All you need to do this job is a 3 lb. sledge and the 'ol Estwing.
    Good luck
  5. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

what type of stone is that?
  6. MarcusLndscp

irregular bluestone
  7. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Similar question.

Im working on a 56 linear ft walkway that is going to be irregular blue stone.

How thick of gravel base do i need, Also for under the stone dust, do i use gravel or cr6(gravel and fines)
    1) gravel
    2)landscape fabric
    3)2 inches of blue dust
    4)lay stone

sound about right?? any pointers would be greatly appreciated
  8. MarcusLndscp

I use 8-12 inches of gravel (stone and fines). Excavate to your proper depth given your existing soil conditions. Compact your subgrade, lay fabric, add gravel in approx. 3 inch lifts compacting each time, add stone dust, then lay flagging. Good luck
  9. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good Marc.
  10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Marcus - What methods do you use to restrain the flagging? compact soil against the edge? concrete? edge restraint? just curious as to how you keep everything tight>
    BTW - The project looks great!