Flail mower for my CAT

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Ground Effects NH, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you guy have some feed back on this flail mower. http://www.loftness.com/flail_video.cfm?cat=ag A local guy has 1 for sale 2k 60" mint shape. I don't have much need now but, I am sure I will find work for it. Thanks

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It takes quite a nit of hydraulic power to run those flail mowers. Be sure your machine can handle it. Flail mowers are great for mowing where you do not want to throw debris out into passing cars or into nearby structures. However, they require a slow ground speed to do a good job. Do not let that video fool you. You will not get a good cut moving at the speed they show. Our City Parks Dept. uses them for some areas and they really have to mow slowly, or the cut looks like heck, with lots of skipped grass.

3. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Loftness didn't have a good reputation with the Bobcat guys down here in S. Texas just a few years ago. They have probably improved their cutters but just a few years back the knives would come off quite a bit and it was a source of frustration to the operator. This is only hearsay, though. I haven't operated one. I personally like the idea of flail cutters for grass and thick weeds over a rotary.

4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

RockHound makes a better flail mower, they have a (optional) front caster wheel on the front, their mowers are the improved US Mower design with less oil flow.

I also use a flail and the only downside is the cost to replace the knives, I coughed up over $500 for all new knives and hardware:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=235586

5. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

The rockhound mowers are junk compared to the US mowers.I was going to demo a rockhound flail mower and it was leaking oil out of the motor before we ever got to try it.The us mowers are built out of domex steel(a type of T-1) and rockhound mowers are built out of mild steel.

minimax

6. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the feed back, I think I'll pass on this one.

7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I thought that a disgruntled employee from US Mower designed the Rockhound mowers and improved the design, but maybe it's the other way around?

8. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

No he left us mower and when to rockhound to start the brushhound line,but rockhound cuts corners,like type of steel,cutter shaft wall thickness,paint,and design.

minimax